Keys..

If you're thinking of having upvc windows replacement then forget about the front & back door, get a solid hardwood door instead with a decent mortise lock, hinge bolts etc.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately in many cities like London, Manchester and Tynside, the situation is that even if everything is locked and closed and even alarmed it will be regularly broken into.

This is usually by sheer force being totally reckless as to the amount of damage caused. In fact I have never heard of a break in or theft where the lock has been manipulated.

One of the best door protections is to have a second external thick steel bar type of door fitted and then the inner one can be the cheap and insecure UPVC design.

However, itt is vitally important to have a key inside in a hidden but findable spot in case of fire. It must be 100% findable by everyone in the dark!

Tony

bar%20gate.jpg

This type of secondary door, although not pretty, can be found on apartment / houses in Singapore, where the passage of air with security is a 'nice to have' ... Have also seen the collapsable diamond lattice type door in use... People go shopping etc leaving the 'normal' outer door open and the security one, locked.
:cool:

That video was comical to watch..sorry to all those people who are taking the video seriously, .
Yes you can do what it says,(bumping), but i wouldnt worry about it.
It is one thing knowing how it is done, but another doing it.
If anyone is worried by this i really wouldnt.

Did anyone see the advertising and cheap logo shots .
Ive attended ,must be 2000 or more break-ins to secure and change locks,and i have never heared of any one being the victim of bump keying.
Timber doors with a rim cylinder and a BS 5 lever Mortice lock are better than PVC in my opinion,as someone said previous but ,there are some really good PVC systems out there. ;)

Sponsored Links
empip said:
bar%20gate.jpg

This type of secondary door, although not pretty, can be found on apartment / houses in Singapore, where the passage of air with security is a 'nice to have' ... Have also seen the collapsable diamond lattice type door in use... People go shopping etc leaving the 'normal' outer door open and the security one, locked.
oh i dont know, i think i could live with that, in the absence of air conditioning in very hot weather. Its not THAT bad! :cool: :LOL:

empip said:
Blimey, is this the real UK?? We have safely, left garage door open all night .. Some people around here leave their car window open 24/7 in the hot weather .. One used to leave his 'shaking backside' boot open all day on many occasions.
I know, It is real and I love it too - It will be a major wrench when we leave... ;)

I'm afraid in the part of Kent that I live it is the real deal. If we leave anything outside thats not bolted down it walks. I suppose that's one of the down sides of living in the sticks.

Although I agree that most burglars don't pick locks, once these bumping keys become available via the net I'm sure they will be used as it's looks so simple.

The last time that I had my garage broken into the 2 blokes just ripped the up-un-over garage door off frame and all. And when the alarm went off they just carried on as if nothing had happened. It was only when my neighbour jumped into his car to investigate that they drove off. They had a plain white transit van with the number plate taped over with gaffa tape so CCTV would have been useless.

They were quite determined because they used a porta pack to burn off a padlock and chain on one of my gates.

I think I need to move to Avon :cry:

vokera80e said:
what you got in that garage.....gold bullion.. :LOL:

Not quite, just a few big boys toys that our traveling friends take a liking to :cry:

Blimey, is this the real UK?? We have safely, left garage door open all night .. Some people around here leave their car window open 24/7 in the hot weather .. One used to leave his 'shaking backside' boot open all day on many occasions

You must live in a different UK to me

Pensdown said:
vokera80e said:
what you got in that garage.....gold bullion.. :LOL:

Not quite, just a few big boys toys that our traveling friends take a liking to :cry:

Pensdown ,
I can see where you went wrong ,you made friends with them.You should know better if you have lived in Kent any amount of time :LOL:

empip said:
bar%20gate.jpg

How can you hide from unwanted visitors :?: :)

I could make a cylinder lock bump key in about one minute using one of our key cutting machines.

It would take about five minutes with a key held in a vice and a hand rat tail file.

The hand contoured ones would be less easy and reliable to use.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back