Killing magpies

We have many seed and nut feeders which attract anything from woodpeckers Jay's and even a kite or two.
We've had the odd issue with grey squirrels on the feeders so from time to time I have to give one a cheeky reminder the feeders are not for them.
I've seen crows diving and attacking local buzzard before.

Sponsored Links
;) Our feeders are squirrel proof but they try. I think people sometimes think rooks are crows. Unless they have become stunted since I saw plenty a crow is a lot bigger than a typical rook.
One thing I have always found disturbing is long walk on rights of way through farmland and few if any birds or insects for that matter. I do some macro photography so always notice lack of those. I know some one that does insect surveys with a camera ;) takes way better macro shots than me. He reckons that fields that have never seen any weed killer or insecticide for many years needs to be found. Wild plants appear to help as well.

We have had a pair of magpies nesting in the hawthorn hedge of our garden for the last 16 years. Some years they have failed to raise any young because a pair of crows that nest in our field eat the young.

Sponsored Links
As Munroist. The Birds have been coping well before we arrived on the scene, and continue to do so well after we've made ourselves extinct. Let nature sort itself out. Worst thing is when human try to give nature a hand, eg. grey squirrels, myxomatosis, etc.

You could transpose that to the immigration question. Us humans were coping well until liberals came along and tried to force us all, with all our differences, to live together "multiculturally". We don't like it; we end up fighting and all sorts of terrible things happen, diseases spread.

You could transpose that to the immigration question. Us humans were coping well until liberals came along and tried to force us all, with all our differences, to live together "multiculturally". We don't like it; we end up fighting and all sorts of terrible things happen, diseases spread.
2/10 must try harder.

No, there have always been people like yourself, filled with hate for those who seem different, because they are black, or ginger, or Irish, or Catholic, or Protestant, or Royalist, or Republican, or heretic, or deformed, or ill, or poor, or Palestinian, or foreign, or Muslim, or Jewish.

You like to vomit out your hatred and spread it around.

From time go time some of them get into a position where can can get enough influence or power to put their hatred into action. You like walls, and ghettoes, and expulsion, and separation, and camps, and disposal.

Back on to magpies. When I was having a tea break over my allotment yesterday, a magpie with near on half a slice of bread in its beak came flying towards me and settled on the very edge of the next plots full to the brim water drum. It dunked the bread in several times then jumped up on to the roof of their shed to eat it. It was weird because almost the same time, I was dunking my choccy biscuit into my tea.

We have a bird bath come somewhere for them to have a drink. All sorts do over the year. Some magpies drop hard stale bread into, fly off and come back and eat it some minutes later. I saw a pigeon trying to get at it once - magpie back immediately. They don't seem to bother small birds either - unlike pigeons.

Looks like we will be having a bad year with tits again. 2 on the trot now. Just a few blue tits so far.

Do magpies attack humans.

In QLD. I think they are the same as British magpies

Mrs Bod was attacked on 3 occasions by she thinks the same Magpie passing the same tree on her bike. Each time it dive bombed her helmet.
I cover mine with my hands to prevent irreversible damage if passing one, just in case..

Sponsored Links
Back