Shooting Magpies

As far as I'm aware it's a parliament, but I won't be checking it.
Someone else will!!

Edit: maybe it's a minge of magpies?

Its actually a 'Murder' of Magpies, remember that from school, although 'tiding' is used too

a group of Owls is a Parliament

Sponsored Links
I would speak to the RSPB who should know the legalities of what you are proposing.

Sponsored Links
Now that's what I call a quick response. Some interesting info there

On the subject of space & surroundings, my garden is medium size & there are houses nearby, but I know I can work in relative privacy as there are lots of bushes & trees around & I can aim well down into the bottom of my own garden without risk of anything going astray.

I would speak to the RSPB who should know the legalities of what you are proposing.

sometimes i wonder if people read my posts.

I quoted directly off the RSPB webby. What i posted is what they will tell you.

Now that's what I call a quick response. Some interesting info there

On the subject of space & surroundings, my garden is medium size & there are houses nearby, but I know I can work in relative privacy as there are lots of bushes & trees around & I can aim well down into the bottom of my own garden without risk of anything going astray.
If you are going ahead and do it, now is probaly the right time if the magpies are raising chicks then the chicks won't survive so less to worry about next year,but quite clearly you are a bird lover so now would be the wrong time in the circle of life to deny the magpie chicks their chance of survival.Nothing like sitting on the fence. :LOL:

I imagine you would use a .410 or smaller, with a very small shot size to prevent the risk of it carrying beyond your land or doing damage beyond the bird.

Obviously what you need is a laser rifle or some sort of death ray.

Could we not get a pack of hounds and some horseback hunters involved? :idea:

I imagine you would use a .410 or smaller, with a very small shot size to prevent the risk of it carrying beyond your land or doing damage beyond the bird.

Only if he's got the licence, even then would be nutty to fire a shotty in the back garden, instant nicking I would imagine. Whereas an air rifle would probably only get him a ticking off.

I seem to remember something about needing to be more than 50m from a footpath or public highway/boundary to legally use an air rifle.

Will need to be a full power air rifle, as close to the legal limit as poss. Smaller pellets such as .177 better for birds, using pointy pellets to penetrate the feathers.

I you cant hit an apple at 30m then it would be irresponsible to start shooting at living things. So get some practice in if need be.

Sponsored Links
Back