Shooting Magpies

Only if he's got the licence
He was talking about shooting things, so I presume he has. Not much chance otherwise.

IIRC there is the rule about distance from road, but also you must not let shot fall outside your land.

Sponsored Links
[
I seem to remember something about needing to be more than 50m from a footpath or public highway/boundary to legally use an air rifle.
According to this its even closer
22.17 Under section 161 of the Highways Act
1980, it is an offence for any person, without
lawful authority or excuse, to discharge any
firearm within fifty feet of the centre of any
highway which comprises a carriageway, if in
consequence, any user of the highway is
injured, interrupted or endangered. For these
purposes a carriageway means a highway
(other than a cycle track) over which the
public have a right of way for the passage of
vehicles. The Highways Act does not apply in
Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use
common law offences of “culpable and
reckless conduct” and “reckless
endangerment” in situations in which the
1980 Act would be contravened in England
and Wales.

I knew it was fifty something. Actually Fifty feet is doable legally even in an average sized garden.

Right you are John, no airgun was mentioned in the opening post, even so you don't need a licence for a standard one so would be the easy way forward if the OP hasn't a firearm or shotty licence.

I don't know, but I would have thought shooting a feathery bird with an air rifle would be quite difficult.

do they still import budget Russian ones?

Sponsored Links
I like urban foxes.

Saw a vixen with (just one) cub playing in the garden (not mine) last weekend. Little chap was like an inquisitive puppy.

they mostly eat discarded burgers and chips, worms if they're hungry, rats occasionally. No-one I know keeps chickens or outdoor rabbits.

I don't like to see them with mange :(

this 'minge' appears to be affecting a variety of wild things

I will be borrowing a friends Air Rifle with a scope. I think it's a 177.
He shoots Magpies & Squirrels regularly, I'll be going round there for some practice & to learn how to set it up. My Garden is about 60 ft from the main rd & I intend to keep my shots within my garden.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys

I will be borrowing a friends Air Rifle with a scope. I think it's a 177.
He shoots Magpies & Squirrels regularly, I'll be going round there for some practice & to learn how to set it up. My Garden is about 60 ft from the main rd & I intend to keep my shots within my garden.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys

put another main spring in it, it makes it a bugger to cock but you can shoot holes in passing helicopters then............even at 5000 feet.

Got it all worked out by the sounds of it.
Happy hunting, and don't forget to tie a rag around your head and say things like...

"they drew first blood, not me"

and

"there's something out there, and it ain't no man"

whilst giving it the 'thousand yard stare' :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back