Kilowattage question. Help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, I've been told by building control that I have to have an induction hob in my kitchen to get the work I've done signed-off.

I've run a 10mm cable to the consumer unit and I'm wondering, would a 10.8 KW cooker run ok on that?
Or does the cooker I get have to be exactly 10KW, or less than ?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Odd. Who is testing and commissioning this new circuit? Building Control aren't usually interested in domestic appliances....

My induction cooker rated at 10466 - 12455 W but supplied with 6 mm² on 32 amp RCBO and before we moved a 32 amp MCB and it has never tripped the supply.

But worse case scenario is it trips, there is no danger or potential danger.

LABC have to check the installation but the current using equipment is beyond their remit. Some thing seems wrong.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. The reason they're poking their nose in about the cooker, is because I've removed a wall that divided the kitchen from the rest of the flat, so we can have an open plan Kitchen/Dining room. So the only way out - to the door leading downstairs, [in event of a fire] is through the kitchen area. I had an automist system installed in the kitchen and fire doors installed. But BC are insisting we change our existing dual- power oven to an induction hob. I can't be doing with just a hob so we're having to buy a cooker with induction hob.

For that, I've had to run a new 10mm cable under the floor to the CU. Now I'm wondering if a 10.8 KW cooker will run alright on that cable?

Thanks again for the insight

James

Your items are unrelated.

A normal cooker circuit is 32A MCB and 6mm² (could be 4mm²) cable and could be good for 20kW of cooking appliances. Whether an induction hob or not is irrelevant.
Some flats have 10mm² cable as their main supply cable for everything.

Has the Council in these strange times dictatorial powers to tell you which hob to install while obviously a large induction hob could use more electricity than a small normal hob. You don't have to have a cooker to get the electrics "signed off".

Tell them you are a trans-woman then they will not be allowed to question anything you do.
Thanks, I'll try the and go down the tranny route if he causes me too many more problems. Biggest mistake I've ever made is not going with private building control. Dealing with my useless, lazy, inefficient LA is a total nightmare.

Odd. Who is testing and commissioning this new circuit? Building Control aren't usually interested in domestic appliances....
My Sparks is doing the connections. I can't get hold of him though and Mrs. Jacksoncraft wants to order the new cooker today.

I would say if getting an induction cooker look at how fast you can control it. With a knob easy, you see milk about to boil over and you simply turn it down/off and you get instant response no need to lift the pan, but some touch controls are simply too slow, you need to select ring, then multi presses to turn down once one has removed oven gloves as the touch controls with not work with gloves on. Also bend down to child/wheel chair height, can you still see the display, best seems to be knobs, touch control was so you can clean easy, but with induction it is easy to clean anyway stuff does not get baked on.

I do see the safety aspect of using an induction hob, mine has a max temperature after which it turns down, then off, and child locks which the children love to set as wife has not learnt how to disable it, and no red hot surface. But not all induction hobs have the safety features, and there is nothing to stop you taking the cooker with you when you move and new residents fitting a halogen hob, and my mother had to have the induction hob removed due to her pace maker and a halogen one fitted instead.

So if you don't want an induction hob tell the LABC you have a pace maker so can't use induction hobs.

P.S. when her pace maker was changed they said she could now use an induction hob, seems the old pace maker did not comply with regs, on EMC not the cooker.

I think that LABC are doing their job.

So instead of fighting them, which will go against you, work with them.

I suspect they will be asking for certificates for each circuit changed too

Have they talked about smoke and heat alarms yet?

you may need to look at your saucepans etc - my mum had an induction hob, which was on offer when comet closed - BUT none of her saucepans would work with it

she had to replace most of them

Please explain how and why it is their job to dictate which cooking appliance people may have.
Gas appliances in internal and/or open plan kitchens have specific ventilation requirements which presumably cannot be met in the OPs alterations.
and there will be a whole pile of other requirements from Part B and the guidance for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back