Kilowattage question. Help please.

Tell them you have a pacemaker and forcing you to have an induction hob will put your life in danger. See what they say. I know!

Sponsored Links
LABC have noticed a new circuit - end of.
"End of" what? They would certainly be able to point out that the new circuit needed to be (should have been) notified to them, but there is no way that it is within their remit or power to tell the OP what sort of cooking appliance to connect it to!

Gas appliances in internal and/or open plan kitchens have specific ventilation requirements which presumably cannot be met in the OPs alterations.
That's verey possibly true, and may well be the reason why the OP has been told that he cannot continue to have a gas hob.

However, there's surely no way that LABC can (as has been suggested) tell the OP what sort of electrical hob he has to install, is there?

Kind Regards, John

That's verey possibly true, and may well be the reason why the OP has been told that he cannot continue to have a gas hob.

However, there's surely no way that LABC can (as has been suggested) tell the OP what sort of electrical hob he has to install, is there?

Kind Regards, John
Agreed, however it may be that the council is guiding the OP to the easiest (best) solution. Much in the same way that "Domestic consumer units MUST be metal" that we often see quoted..
The easy answer to have the best chance of achieving compliance, including costs etc but other solutions are available.
In all things in life it is often the easiest shortest idea that offers the best all round solution much of the time but that does not always preclude other solutions.

Sponsored Links
I know after the Ronan Point event gas was banned in many high rise flats, so can see why gas not permitted, but as to why induction rather than any other electric option seems odd, I would go for induction unless using a pace maker, but if some one prefers halogen instead can't see why not permitted?

Agreed, however it may be that the council is guiding the OP to the easiest (best) solution.
Possibly. As has been said, it's also possible that LABC merely said that he needed to change to an electric hob, and that it is the OP who has decided that that means (and/or he would prefer) an induction one, rather than any other time.
Much in the same way that "Domestic consumer units MUST be metal" that we often see quoted..
That's surely different, since having a 'non-combustible' CU is a requirement of the current BS 7671, whereas any sort of electric hob would be perfectly satisfactory (and compliant with all relevant regs etc.) if he can't continue having a gas hob.
The easy answer to have the best chance of achieving compliance, including costs etc but other solutions are available. In all things in life it is often the easiest shortest idea that offers the best all round solution much of the time but that does not always preclude other solutions.
All true. However, the requirements for ventilation in kitchens with gas cooking appliances (as described in detail in the document linked to by flameport) are not excessively demanding, even if the room has no external walls, so I would be surprised if it were not possible to address that (probably fairly easily/cheaply) such that a gas hob could continue to be used? I certainly know of many kitchens, some in relatively recently-built houses, that have gas cooking appliances in their kitchens, so it is certainly not 'impossible'.

In passing, I note that the document to which flamport linked includes ....

1695389889820.png

We are always pointing out to people here that the Approved Documents are not 'legislation' and (as they all say themselves) not in any sense 'mandatory' - so maybe some people in officialdom also need to be reminded of that !!

Kind Regards, John

I suspect the OP misunderstood what LABC actually said, but we’ll never know
No I didn't. The instruction was very simple and straight forward. I am to put fire doors everywhere and swap my existing dual power cooker for an induction hob because, he said, of fire risk.

No I didn't. The instruction was very simple and straight forward. I am to put fire doors everywhere and swap my existing dual power cooker for an induction hob because, he said, of fire risk.
As has been said, I doubt that 'fire risk' is the issue - much more likely that, as flameport suggested, it was a matter of ventilation of a room containing a gas cooking appliance. However, as I've said...

1... It would very probably not be all that difficult to address the ventilation issue and therefore continue using a gas hob.

2... If the ventilation is currently inadequate, and cannot easily be rendered adequate, then that might mean that the best/easiest course would be to change from gas to electric hob - but it would make absolutely no difference what type of electric hob was used,so the lABC could not reasonably insist that it had to be an induction hob.

Kind Regards, John

As has been said, I doubt that 'fire risk' is the issue - much more likely that, as flameport suggested, it was a matter of ventilation of a room containing a gas cooking appliance. However, as I've said...

1... It would very probably not be all that difficult to address the ventilation issue and therefore continue using a gas hob.

2... If the ventilation is currently inadequate, and cannot easily be rendered adequate, then that might mean that the best/easiest course would be to change from gas to electric hob - but it would make absolutely no difference what type of electric hob was used,so the lABC could not reasonably insist that it had to be an induction hob.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks for your reply John. The thing is - we're selling up and I really can't be bothered arguing with my LABC bloke. I just want this situation sorted, so we can get the sign off and move. BC are insisting on fire doors and an induction hob. So that's what they're going to get. My Sparks got back to me saying : I can't run a 10.8 KW induction hob/cooker on a 10mm cable. It has to be a 16. So sod that. I'm getting a new worktop from Wickes, cutting a hole in it and we're getting a plug & play induction hob to go in it. Same with the elec' oven I now have to buy. I'll get one as cheap as possible to go into a Kitchen oven cabinet.

Ventilation wasn't mentioned by him, only the potential fire risk.

So the 10mm cable I ran under the floor was a waste of time. I'm going plug and play with hob and oven.

Thanks for your reply John. The thing is - we're selling up and I really can't be bothered arguing with my LABC bloke. I just want this situation sorted, so we can get the sign off and move. BC are insisting on fire doors and an induction hob.
Fire doors? How many storeys does this house have?

If you're 'selling up', there is surely no obligation to leave any oven or hob inn the house when you sell it, is there? Why not just remove them and leave the buyer to install whatever they wish?
So that's what they're going to get.
In your situation, can understand that pragmatic approach.
My Sparks got back to me saying : I can't run a 10.8 KW induction hob/cooker on a 10mm cable. It has to be a 16.
That's nonsense. Ask him if he understands anything about 'diversity'. However ...
So sod that. I'm getting a new worktop from Wickes, cutting a hole in it and we're getting a plug & play induction hob to go in it. Same with the elec' oven I now have to buy. I'll get one as cheap as possible to go into a Kitchen oven cabinet.
That sounds like a sensible approach, which (one hopes :) ) BC could hardly complain about. However, as above, do you really need to leave any hob at all when you sell the house?

Kind Regards, John

Second opinion for verification
My Sparks got back to me saying : I can't run a 10.8 KW induction hob/cooker on a 10mm cable. It has to be a 16.
That is absolute nonsense.

10.8kW @ 240V is 45A; without diversity 10mm² can carry 64A and even 6mm² 47A.

As I said, some flats have 10mm² for their supply cable for everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back