kitchen appliance control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a kitchen control panel as i enter the kitchen so i can turn on or off each appliance in the kitchen.the panel will be connected to the ringmain and each appliance will have a switch wire from the panel.as the ringmain is rated at 32amp what do i need in the panel

Sponsored Links
A load of 20 amp switches, preferably engraved so its obvious what you're turning on or off.

This work is notifiable under part p.

I want to install a kitchen control panel as i enter the kitchen so i can turn on or off each appliance in the kitchen.
Why do you want to be able to do that?

the panel will be connected to the ringmain
So in effect all of your appliances will be fed from virtually the same place on the ring final.

How many appliances? What's the total load? How far around the ring will the switches be?

Have you really thought through all the implications of this?

and each appliance will have a switch wire from the panel.
Going to what?

What size cables?

I can't work out why in the world you would want to do this either, but if you must, it would be better fed off a radial circuit(s) for the reasons mentioned by BAS above.

If you're just paranoid about leaving things switched on, why the need for independent control over each appliance? It would look slightly less obtrusive to have, say, a 4mmsq radial through a single DP isolator switch and then onto local unswitched FCUs or 13A outlets for each appliance.

Sponsored Links
I can't work out why in the world you would want to do this either
It wasn't that so much, as really which of these are the switches for:

1) Isolation
2) Switching for mechanical maintenance
3) Emergency switching
4) Functional switching

and which of those can be done in compliance with BS 7671 by grid switch modules...

Its done in a lot of new housing estates. They have the benefit of buying in bulk of the engraved switches etc.

Our wholesales keep them on the shelf.

I installed them in my own kitchen, and recommend them to my customers too.

Our gas cooker went wrong, and for some reason the automatic sparker to light the gas got stuck permanantly on.

I just switched the oven off with my handy engraved 'oven' switch. If it were not for the switch, it would have meant fiddling around with my fuse box, something I am not familiar with, and could have posed some danger to me. ;)

So that would be 3) then.

Do grid switches comply with the requirements in BS 7671 for Emergency Switching? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back