Kitchen cock up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My builders have made a slight cock up in that they have provided the cables for my boiler, fridge/freezer and ring but have omitted to provide cabling back to the CU for the ring that was destined to power the dishwasher, washer/dryer and cooker hood. They have installed the fused isolators , each connected to each other in a ring but forgotten to run the pair of cables back to the CU!!! This has only come to light after the kitchen floor has been laid (oak) and the understairs cupboard housing the CU ha been panelled!

My question is can they spur off the kitchen ring (the sockets are next to the isolators) or do we have to dig up the floor etc?

the dishwasher is a Miele and the washer/dryer a Bosch i.e no unusual current requirements.

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Surely this is a problem for you to take up with the builders, afterall it's their responsibility. They surely must put it right and pay for their mistake.
What happened to the EIC?

It is their responsibility but it is my kitchen and I want to establish the least disruptive solution irrespective of blame.

Thanks

if the builders cant work that out then they havent got any business messing with the electrics.

are they registered?

Sponsored Links
The 1 x cable supplied for the 'ring' subject to load calculation could be down rated to a 20 amp radial circuit.

This would restrict the total load on the circuit to 20 amp's

You need to decide if a) that is acceptable b) your happy to have a low limitation of use on that circuit.

I'm a bit unclear regarding you intial post. Am I right in thinking that you have 1 cable from the consumer unit rather than the 2 a ring requires/ or are you saying that neither ring cable goes back to the CU, but have seperate circuits between the boiler and cu, and the fride- freezer and cu ?

My apologies if my initial post was a little confusing! My electrician (yes he is registered etc) has resolved it this am. I wanted an 'independent' answer to mediate between my builder and my electrician to avoid buck passing. Many thanks to those who replied with useful feedback.

As opposed to those people who gave advice in good faith but which you did not want to hear... :evil:

Securespark

I thought this was a forum to help people with various problems. A number of responses were frankly unhelpful and did not give useful advice. The works I was refering to are being carried out by qualified trades but that does not preclude the odd ****up. Hope that helps.

So how was it resolved?
1) The op registered here to ask about this nearly 7 years ago, and 4 of the only 5 posts he made are in this topic. The other was a reply in the Plumbing & CH forum 6 years ago. It seems very unlikely that he is still around.

2) This topic is nearly 7 years old - why reply now and ask him what happened nearly 7 years ago?

More to the point why is a post pre-2008 when regulations changed still available to view? I would have thought posts pre-2008 would have been deleted because they could mislead.

More to the point why is a post pre-2008 when regulations changed still available to view? I would have thought posts pre-2008 would have been deleted because they could mislead.
I take your point, but the same could be said for pre-2011 posts or, in relation to matters relating to notification in England, pre-2103 ones - and would everything pre-2015 have to be got rid of next year? Where would you stop? If there were such 'censorship', it would have to be simply 'by date', since no-one could be expected to look at each post, or thread, to see if what it said had subsequently been invalidated by changes in regulations.

Kind Regards, John

I have asked forum management a couple of times why/if it might be possible to lock any topic that is more than (say) 12 months old and has had no activity.

The inputs could then be viewed for information, but would stop twits like Wabbitpoo digging up old corpses.

I have had no words of encouragement from them upstairs. My guess is that things like that (and Tapatalk) don't fit in with this forum software that seems to have been frozen in a period just before the Vietnam war.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back