kitchen units

14 Nov 2006
Reaction score
South Glamorgan
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

heres what i wanna do, new worktop,fridge washing machine tumbler

(existing)need to conceal them behind new doors do i need to make the worktop wider to be able to put cabinet doors on or is there another way ? without buying all new ?
Sponsored Links
I am assuming you are getting integrated appliances because you will struggle to try to fit a door to a standard appliance. You would generally have a 600mm space for a washing machine, dryer etc... and you would not be able to fit a carcase in and then remove the inside base to slide an appliance in as it would probably be too tight due to the hinges.
If the above is irrelevant then an easy way of effectively widening the worktop is to fit an upstand against the walls first ( i.e a 4-5 inch rip of the front edge of a worktop ) and pushing your new worktops up to meet it which will give you either 28mm or 38mm more cover at the front depending on the thickness of your new tops. The down side to this is that it will cost you for a full length of worktop (or 2) just for you to rip the nose off it and the look it gives , while quite acceptable, is not everyone's cup of tea.
Easiest way is to use double postformed worktops which are around 660mm wide, this will give you the depth for new doors to fit infront of your existing free standing appliances. Either cut off the back bullnose or just butt against the wall and tiles will cover the curve.

Assuming you will be using 600mm standard doors then the hinge option is to use this though they don't always work with fridges.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links