Knitting bricks into blocks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn’t find anything online showing the correct way to knit blocks and bricks together and I assume it’s an ok thing to do. So I did it in the only way that seemed sensible .but the old man 3 doors up who apparently was a builder came round to see what I was doing and said you can’t do that as it causes long perps and therefore creates a weak point . I said so how are you meant to do it and he said you don’t . Is there anything wrong with what I’ve done in the picture . I thought I better ask before I get any higher.

Ps I know it’s looks a bit odd with the blues mixed in but I over ordered and I they cost to much to waste. :) Plus it’s the end wall that can’t be seen from the house and it’s gonna be rendered.

Attachments

• 0779B26E-F165-41D8-A383-4A88AC13A870.jpeg
    0779B26E-F165-41D8-A383-4A88AC13A870.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Google "block bonding" and if Google is no help, I'll come down and build it for you.

For instance ...

20221127_202621.jpg

Note the course the bricks are tied over the block. Compare to yours.

Cheers woody so mine is sort of ok .

I also forgot to add I put ties in across each perp between a brick and block

if you want to come down and finish for me though I wouldn’t say no.

Last edited:
Sorry that wasn't the deal, as you can find information on line. However I'm not heartless, so I'll WFH instead.

I'd alter the blocks from now up to get a proper bond. Ties aren't that good and can allow cracking.

Screenshot_20221128-092200_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
I couldn’t find anything online showing the correct way to knit blocks and bricks together and I assume it’s an ok thing to do. So I did it in the only way that seemed sensible .but the old man 3 doors up who apparently was a builder came round to see what I was doing and said you can’t do that as it causes long perps and therefore creates a weak point . I said so how are you meant to do it and he said you don’t . Is there anything wrong with what I’ve done in the picture . I thought I better ask before I get any higher.

Ps I know it’s looks a bit odd with the blues mixed in but I over ordered and I they cost to much to waste. :) Plus it’s the end wall that can’t be seen from the house and it’s gonna be rendered.
Your bottom starting course of blocks should have started in nick where his mate directly above is located. It would have been a more efficient bond. You'd have then had two bricks bonding over instead of one.

You should always set out dry first. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back