Landlords gas certifricate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Quick question, is a back boiler with fore classed as 1 appliance or 2?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
2 appliances for me and each one stripped down and checked and recorded separated.

2 appliances for me and each one stripped down and checked and recorded separated.
Personally I wont issue one without a complete strip down service, very reliable appliances but have to be properly serviced every year or more often if the family pet loves laying in front of the fire

Sponsored Links
its 1 combined appliance hence why you cant just have the boiler without the fire
on cert you would put down the boiler model and its pressures and flue test results etc and the on line below the fire model and its pressures flue test results etc

its 1 combined appliance hence why you cant just have the boiler without the fire
on cert you would put down the boiler model and its pressures and flue test results etc and the on line below the fire model and its pressures flue test results etc
I was wondering from a pricing position. Many quote prices for 1 appliance and additional for each other appliance. Would it be charged as 1 or 2 appliances?

Most people will charge it as one appliance but with an uplift from a standard boiler , some like to make it sound like its a hell of a job but its a basic appliance .
Also make sure price is for a proper service , back boilers have to be stripped not just looked at as many landlord jobs end up as

If it's a new customer it nearly always is a hell of a job...the majority of gas installers cut corners with back boilers. It's certainly not unusual to spend 1/2 a day sorting them out. Out of all gas appliances back boilers rank among the least safe...and have no place in rentals IMHO..tenants block vents etc. Correctly installed CO alarm is essential.

1/2 day on a back boiler get real , explain what would need sorted out ?
nothing up with a back boiler its only an open flued appliance for christ sake

Maybe you're not doing it properly then, most don't...with travel, paperwork, smoke testing, de-sooting alone it's a long enough job.
I've lost count of the number of installations with incorrect ventilation, insufficient or missing annular sealing, pipework not sealed to the builders opening etc....more than a single minor on flue/vents and IUSP guidance is AR.
How thorough are you checking the firefront heat exchanger...perhaps just a casual glance?

Funny how defensive people get...it's almost a badge of honour to do the job in the least amount of time rather than a thorough inspection.

really travelling is part of any job as is paperwork
smoke test is minutes , incorrect vent takes you seconds to see if vent is ok , just an insufficient /missing annular seal is nothing now that NCS has gone check unsafe procedures if you dont believe me(section 10.1) . Pipework not sealed also takes you seconds to see , more than one flue vent fault is not AR its still down to engineering judgement again check unsafe procedures if you dont believe me (section 6).
Checking the firefront heat exchanger you mean for cracks and signs of distress and also spillage testing it seperate to the back boiler as well as together and also back boiler seperate also with room fans on forward /backward and with door open if fans/tumble driers etc are in adjacent rooms .
Desooting prob about 15 mins extra above a standard service done hundreds had 8000 back boilers on LA contract . and have serviced thousands of them of every make so please dont even attempt to say i dont know how to do one properly
Nothing to do with a badge of honour how quick can do them some of us dont talk up a simple appliance service like it is rocket science .
Altering undersized vents and sealing pipe holes are not part of a service they are an additional job which would be charged seperately same if you felt the need to seal annular space or do you carry rockwall or sealing plates around with you

Last edited:
I agree, it's nothing special.

I too have done hundreds/thousands of them. I used to fully strip a 552 and all of the stuff above in an hour tops. That's everything that comes apart lying on the floor and cleaned/vacuumed, flue and vent checks etc done. The inset ones are even easier. Once you've got a routine you can do it blindfolded.

If it's badly sooted it's probably another 15mins.

Any faults take as long as they take.

its an open flue,,, quick runaway .
more people have been killed by supposed room sealed appliances in recent years than open flues should we tell people to take them out for safety sake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back