Large boiler, small .......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you convince a customer that a boiler is too large. It just short cycles and is bad for the boiler?
Everyone is an expert with Google yeah?

Sponsored Links
Analogies are usually rubbish, just explain properly what the issue is, that every time the boiler starts it loses some efficiency due to the initial heat and possibly some gas leaving the flue. Also the igniter and has valve have a limited life so starting and stopping will wear it quicker.
To be honest i am not sure what might happen to other components. It's not like an oversized car where its lugging it's own weight around all the time, but there would be more residual heat left in a larger boiler that would eventually be wasted when it cools.
End of the day is their choice of they don't believe you and presumably it's their money at stake.

Sponsored Links
Modern cars (and supercars) are easy to drive slowly and relatively economical.
You should compare the boiler to an F1 car. Now trying to drive that down the high street at slow speed is a chalenge.

Analogies are usually rubbish, just explain properly what the issue is, that every time the boiler starts it loses some efficiency due to the initial heat and possibly some gas leaving the flue. Also the igniter and has valve have a limited life so starting and stopping will wear it quicker.
To be honest i am not sure what might happen to other components. It's not like an oversized car where its lugging it's own weight around all the time, but there would be more residual heat left in a larger boiler that would eventually be wasted when it cools.
End of the day is their choice of they don't believe you and presumably it's their money at stake.

Sell a lot of boilers do you?

How do you convince a customer that a boiler is too large.
Some 'customers' are not worth having. If they can't be convinced with the simple facts, then forget it.
They are paying someone for the specification and installation of a boiler suitable for whatever the particular requirements are. Yet they want to do half the job themselves. Guaranteed to be a pile of problems from the start.

Same as customers who want to supply their own consumer unit (inevitable that it will be wrong in a lot of ways).
Those that want X doing on it's own, even though that it totally unacceptable without doing Y and Z as well.

How do you convince a customer that a boiler is too large.
When on site just mention your concerns about their boiler,get paid for your services.then mention you will follow up your concern and make advisory recommendations via email or post. (the recommendations need to be worked out on a cost basis,so do the sum's).Its legal stuff.

Mike2007 why not tell us how you would prevent short cycling on the mentioned installation.your the daddy

No, as you can see I'm too straightforward to be a salesperson.

Which begs the question.... Again.... Why do people on this forum insist on giving advice they are I'll equipped to give?

The problem with forums, bloody Which magazine and the cretins on day time TV is that they have no clue on the subjects they're talking about, but have just enough air of authority to make the unsuspecting think they are getting sound advice.

Then when the likes of the OP are trying to do their job, the customer things they're being had over, making the job harder than it needs to be.

How do you convince a customer that a boiler is too large. It just short cycles and is bad for the boiler?
Everyone is an expert with Google yeah?

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

Is this over large boiler already installed or is it one that the customer has asked to be installed. ?

If already installled then surely the customer can see / hear that it is short cycling.

If it is to be a new installation and the customer cannot be convinced then maybe just walk away saying you do not want to be involved in installing a system that the customer will come to regret.

Which begs the question.... Again.... Why do people on this forum insist on giving advice they are I'll equipped to give?

Possibly to counter the information given to customers by marketing people and incentives via installers to choose a particular brand and an installer associated with that brand.

Which in turn begs the question...... Why do people on this forum insist on giving reccomendations for new boilers when their recommendations are too often biased by their commercial relationship with one manufacturer.

What is a commercial relationship ? "" I can install a Brand B boiler for you with the standard 2 year manufacturer's warranty but if you choose Brand C and I install it for you then you will be entitled to a much longer manufacturer's warranty. ""

how was Tokyo?

Still here. Bloody hot. Just got back from a trip to the Moteigi race track. Turns out I'm not a half bad Kart racer....just a shame I weigh twice that of my competition in the same damn kart.

Resisting the urge to once again fill by baggage allowance with unnecessary funky tools.

15331974717242796322791174231246.jpg

You mean ill!

Bloody autokorrect.

Is this over large boiler already installed or is it one that the customer has asked to be installed. ?

If already installled then surely the customer can see / hear that it is short cycling.

If it is to be a new installation and the customer cannot be convinced then maybe just walk away saying you do not want to be involved in installing a system that the customer will come to regret.

Possibly to counter the information given to customers by marketing people and incentives via installers to choose a particular brand and an installer associated with that brand.

Which in turn begs the question...... Why do people on this forum insist on giving reccomendations for new boilers when their recommendations are too often biased by their commercial relationship with one manufacturer.

What is a commercial relationship ? "" I can install a Brand B boiler for you with the standard 2 year manufacturer's warranty but if you choose Brand C and I install it for you then you will be entitled to a much longer manufacturer's warranty. ""

My above point has been made perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back