Latest horror...

Interesting name "echoes" ie no substance.

Stand up and give an explanation of voltage, excuse me for not holding my breath.
You'll have to, since I have better things to do right now, but I'm very happy to supply you with that information.

Sponsored Links
Stand up and give an explanation of voltage, excuse me for not holding my breath.
There's nothing wrong with using pressure (e.g. of balls in a pipe) as an analogy for voltage (strictly electromotive force, EMF), but you can't use that for distinguishing the two sides of a 2-wire AC supply - without some other connection to a reference potential (e.g. earth) all one can measure and talk about is the 'pressure difference' (i.e. potential difference') between the two.

Kind Regards, John

Oh I so hate this forum. I've been away for a few months and I've come back to find you're even worse than ever.

This guy seems to have removed a step-down transformer, so that he's now applying 240V to something that was previously only getting 120V. That might be OK, but it might be about to burn his house down. And you ****S are arguing about balls in pipes.

I'm off now. I came back to ask some questions elsewhere and couln't resist checking out "electrics". What a mistake.

The definition of voltage is perfectly straightforward as it is and doesn't need confusing with "balls in a pipe" analogies.

(And before anyone asks: "The work done to move a unit electrical charge between two points in a static electric field".)

With that settled, perhaps it might now be expedient to return to the OP's question and to advise them that applying 240v to whatever the transformer was once connected to might not be the brightest idea?

Sponsored Links
Interesting name "echoes" ie no substance.

I don't care if you find my username interesting or not, nor do I care what you imagine you can deduce from it.

The only person here asking for an explanation of voltage is you.
The OP asked for the difference between live and neutral, and the correct answer to that has been given.

I asked you how you would determine the difference, and hence explain, the difference between live and neutral, but you haven't.

I'll set the bar low with an explanation of voltage: it is a measure of energy of charge-carrying particles. An analogy would be water in a tank - the higher the tank, the more energy the water has and therefore the more work it can do. Similarly, the higher the voltage, or potential difference, the more work can be done by the charged particles. I hope that satisfies you for now. I have more, but you'll have to be specific.

I don't care if you find my username interesting or not, nor do I care what you imagine you can deduce from it.

The only person here asking for an explanation of voltage is you.
The OP asked for the difference between live and neutral, and the correct answer to that has been given.

I asked you how you would determine the difference, and hence explain, the difference between live and neutral, but you haven't.

I'll set the bar low with an explanation of voltage: it is a measure of energy of charge-carrying particles. An analogy would be water in a tank - the higher the tank, the more energy the water has and therefore the more work it can do. Similarly, the higher the voltage, or potential difference, the more work can be done by the charged particles. I hope that satisfies you for now. I have more, but you'll have to be specific.

You're only encouraging him (or her) - and no good will come of that ... :)

To return to the issue at hand, from the OP's photo, it looked like the flex attached to his now ex-transformer was cut, and therefore not connected. I might be wrong - maybe the flex disappeared under the insulation. In which case he's done the right thing by removing it.

Edit: just re-read: I think I am wrong. It would seem the OP has either doubled the voltage to something, or has connected one of a flex. Can you establish where that flex goes?

Last edited:
Oh I so hate this forum. I've been away for a few months and I've come back to find you're even worse than ever.
Me :?::?:
This guy seems to have removed a step-down transformer, so that he's now applying 240V to something that was previously only getting 120V. That might be OK, but it might be about to burn his house down.
Indeed so - and, as far as I am aware, I was the first person to point out that it was a step-down auto-transformer - so I'm not sure why a finger should be pointed at me!

Kind Regards, John

I've been away for a few years - I'm glad it's not changed!

OK guys, thanks for the entertainment… having done it now, I think you may be right that there WAS at some point a lower voltage chandelier or something weird, but all I have now is a standard ceiling rose and mains bulb.

I couldn’t make sense of the mass of wiring and take-off points from the transformer etc, so I traced the bit of white flex, found it went through to said rose; so I removed the transformer, and connected the grey mains cable to the white flex.

Simples! I hope :confused:

Is the bulb brighter now than before, maybe the previous owner used it to dim the light or maybe nicked 110volt bulbs from a building site

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back