Lathe four jaw chuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, nothing rare about that......but I found one today which was self centring!
In 40 years of engineering, I've never come across one before.
This one was made by Pratts.
John :)

Sponsored Links
They have their uses but are extremely limited in that you only get a good grip if the work is perfectly "square" on cross dimensions

I think that I actually have one here. It's with a little Drummond lathe, but the thread's wrong for that so it's been in the cabinet underneath for the past umpteen years. I wanted a normal independent four jaw a while back for something, and that's when I found out it wasn't. :)
I know the woodturning boys use them with dovetail jaws to allow them to re-centre bowls etc.
Incidentally John I left those welder voltages with your comments.

Sponsored Links
I guess the accuracy of these things will depend on scroll wear, at the end of the day.....a bit like the three jaw option!
John :)

Bound to be. That's the weakness with all scroll chucks. Self centering four jaw's handy if you want to hold square or octagonal I suppose. Round you can obviously hold with the 3 jaw. Neither's that much good if you need to accurately re-centre stuff. When I learned turning it was all done with a four jaw, or centres. I'm certainly no expert though. Few weeks some years back. :)
And then the bits I've done myself with that basically worn out Drummond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back