Laura White of X Factor is out??

Ive never heard "industrial" music before hairyben.
Can you give a youtube link to this genre of music taste perhaps?

Crikey, where to begin....

Ministry are one of the most prolific acts, although their output is more industrial/metal. nine inch nails are another good example.

Rammstein are a good example of the industrial sound in the mainstream, although us elitists consider than to be a KMFDM tribute act :LOL: (Rammstein are the band playing in the XXX movie)

If you like any of that we'll go from there...

Industrial is a weird genre that encompases many different sounds, the best description I could give is it sits in the grey area connecting what you'd call metal, dance, techno, rock, and a whole lot more besides.

Sponsored Links
No need to go any further hairyben.
Im driving a machine at work tomorrow which sounds similar and the off button is what I like best about it. (ear muffs are another option)
I suppose you could call that industrial ;)

Sponsored Links
Call your self elite hairyben listening to that crap.
Id call you a head banger. :rolleyes:

I think the point is very much that he doesn't consider himself to be elitist.

Typo removed.

Call your self elite hairyben listening to that rubbish.
Id call you a head banger. :rolleyes:

me-ow.

Point is, I don't expect people by and large to like it. It's not music designed to make you feel warm and fluffy inside and good about the world. The best review I read about Ministrys "mind..." album is "hate translated into music" You need to be coming from a certain PoV to "get" it, and most people are just too damn squeamish. But thats O-kay.

But to me, it's perfection; raw emotion, no desire to conform. Art is expression, and the assimilation that the pop world propogates makes it self-limiting, and thats closer to elitism than anything else...

Industrial music? I'd never heard of it either so I thought I'd try it out. Here is the first example I came across fom the founding fathers Throbbing Gristle, (who I have heard of). I managed 38 seconds before baling out :eek: It's like being so drunk that nothing makes sense.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ

You dropped yourself in at the deep end slightly there... what I posted was some of the more easily acessible stuff....

There's actually a sub-genre called noise.... don't bother :LOL:

hairyben wrote:

you should listen to what sounds good to you, personally. You cannot be told what you like, what makes you feel good.

so whats all this about?

Music is art. Pop is product.

x-factor, eurovision and all the rest of it simply have no relevance or meaning to a music lover. I don't evan understand why people mention such things to me in conversation.

I'm trying not to be elitist, I abhor snobbery and besides, it blinds people and makes them little better if not worse than pop fans (at least pop fans sole objective is to enjoy what they listen to, which is about as pure as it gets).

But what it comes down to it, the difference between art and pop is the difference between hanging a great picture on your wall and the wallpaper that surrounds it. Sure, the wallpaper might be nice, but it's forgettable, has no passion or soul, and is produced merely to fill an empty void in an inoffensive manner.

hairyben wrote:

you should listen to what sounds good to you, personally. You cannot be told what you like, what makes you feel good.

so whats all this about?

People should listen to what they like, pop music included.

Just don't confuse the pop music industry with art, it has no connection.

Hairyben wrote

Just don't confuse the pop music industry with art, it has no connection

Rubbish.
A pop artist can express themselves with a zillion times more raw emotion and expression than a bunch of drugged up head bangers down the local gaffe listening to trash.

Music is art. Pop is product.

x-factor, eurovision and all the rest of it simply have no relevance or meaning to a music lover.
I've been wondering what it was that bothered about this, and I've only just realised.

It's because you're wrong. Plenty of music lovers watch X Factor. I consider myself one of those.

I listen to music, I buy music, I play music on real live instruments, and I love all sorts of music. Not everything, but a lot. I also watch X Factor, and I often enjoy it.

I don't evan understand why people mention such things to me in conversation.
Perhaps they presume that you're interested in popular culture. "Such things" are useful as a currency by which people can exchange views, likes, and dislikes, and through these come to know each other better.

I'm trying not to be elitist, I abhor snobbery and besides, it blinds people and makes them little better if not worse than pop fans (at least pop fans sole objective is to enjoy what they listen to, which is about as pure as it gets).
There's a dichotomy here - you appear to hold pop fans in very low regard, but in the very same sentence you appear to be applauding them as purists.

But what it comes down to it, the difference between art and pop is the difference between hanging a great picture on your wall and the wallpaper that surrounds it. Sure, the wallpaper might be nice, but it's forgettable, has no passion or soul, and is produced merely to fill an empty void in an inoffensive manner.
That sounds exactly like the snobbery that you claim to abhor. If it isn't, then exactly what is it?

I know several musicians who've enjoyed various degrees of success over the years, and they're some of the most humble people I'd ever wish to meet. Not one single soul amongst them would bar anyone from the club of music lovers purely on the basis of them watching and/or talking about a TV program.

You mis-understand who and what I resent... I loath the process that produces and is affiliated with pop, I don't resent anyone for enjoying it, although I'd say many listen with a "take it or leave it" attitude rather than commitment.

Again that isn't "wrong"... I watch films with chaps like Steven seagal, but I do appreciate it's a formulaic 90 minutes of enjoyable mindless escapism and of little cultural value, perhaps a film equivalent to pop.

. Plenty of music lovers watch X Factor. I consider myself one of those.

I listen to music, I buy music, I play music on real live instruments, and I love all sorts of music. Not everything, but a lot. I also watch X Factor, and I often enjoy it.

But, as this thread demonstrates with others reactions to industrial, something millions of people adore, there must be music you don't like? Therefore appreciation of an art form is subjective and personal? And, therefore, any attempt to process, rank and find a "winner" misses the point?

Then again, I've never been at ease with the concept of "favourites", "top tens", or any of that. I have about 20 or so favourite bands, but I couldn't list them 1-20. Today my favourite band was the sisters of mercy, cos thats who I punched up on my in-van mp3 system on the way to work. Tomorrow it might be someone different.

You mis-understand who and what I resent... I loath the process that produces and is affiliated with pop, I don't resent anyone for enjoying it, although I'd say many listen with a "take it or leave it" attitude rather than commitment.
I certainly didn't appreciate the direction and depth of your loathing, and whilst I accept it, I don't share it.

Not all pop music is manufactured, and whatever the source or process I'm of the opinion that it brings music to other people who otherwise might make little effort to seek it out, and I consider that to be a good thing.

Again that isn't "wrong"... I watch films with chaps like Steven seagal, but I do appreciate it's a formulaic 90 minutes of enjoyable mindless escapism and of little cultural value, perhaps a film equivalent to pop.
I agree - it's a good analogy. But do you not loathe the formulaic film production factories as much as you loathe the likes of, say, Stock/Aitken/Waterman?

Plenty of music lovers watch X Factor. I consider myself one of those.

But, as this thread demonstrates with others reactions to industrial, something millions of people adore, there must be music you don't like?
I guess there must be, but I can't immediately think of any. I'm not keen on music that's badly played, or particularly repetitive (e.g. some dance stuff), or people who can't sing, but I think I'm able to get some enjoyment out of listening to or watching anything that's done well.

Therefore appreciation of an art form is subjective and personal?
I concur.

And, therefore, any attempt to process, rank and find a "winner" misses the point?
Only if it was looking for the point, and I think X Factor isn't looking, so it hasn't missed it.

You could level the same accusations at the [Strictly] Come Dancing genre, but it brings a LOT of really harmless enjoyment to many people who otherwise would never watch ballroom (etc.) dancing, and the difference in format between SCD and X Factor is insignificant, IMHO.

X Factor it doesn't pretend to be what it isn't - it's just a musical edition of Big Brother, or Family Fortunes, or WWTBAM. It's a popular entertainment program whose subject matter happens to be the discovery of a popular entertainer. Since the parameters of a popular entertainer are pretty clearly defined, albeit with the notably nebulous existence of the factor that they call 'X', I see nothing wrong with the honest pursuit of the goal. I'd prefer that there wasn't quite so much seemingly obscene profit coming from the telephone voting, and that it didn't make some individuals quite so wealthy, but we live in a country with a market economy, and disparity of wealth is the price we pay for that.

Then again, I've never been at ease with the concept of "favourites", "top tens", or any of that. I have about 20 or so favourite bands, but I couldn't list them 1-20.
You and me both. I don't see the point of a favourite, because what I like listening to depends on my constantly changing mood.

Largely I agree with you completely and utterly. The thing I don't get is the loathing, and how it transfers into what could be arguably be called an over-analytical criticism of something that really doesn't purport to be anything other than superficial.

Having said that, there are things that get my goat too, and I have no doubt that my loathing of those things appears very strange to anyone who can take or leave one of those.

But it's good that we're not all the same, or the world would be a very bland place.

Thanks for the exchange of views hairyben. Go in peace. :)

Sponsored Links
Back