Laura White of X Factor is out??

What does peev me about the show is the fact that in most cases, it is NOT the public that decide who will leave the show. If it were, then the voting would be taken entirely from the telephone vote and NOT from the 'Mentors'. Two of the last five finalists have been voted off by the lowest public vote. The rest have been voted off by the mentors. It is THEY that make the final decision as to who will leave from the two lowest polled competitors. Forgive me if I'm being pedantic but surely if people have taken the time and spent the money to vote, the least they should be getting for their time and money is to vote on who stays and who goes.

Lets take Laura last week for an example. For all we know the voting could have been something like:

We'll forget Diana obviously as she got through on a Freebie because she had a sore throat... What a joke! Here come the Diana Fans...! :rolleyes: :D

Alex 20 votes
Daniel 20 votes
Eoghan 18 votes
Ruth 18 votes

Laura 17 votes
Rachel 15 votes

So the bottom two were (in this case), Laura and Rachel. But the general Public voted more in favour of Laura, meaning Rachel should exit the show. However, the 'Mentors' decided that Rachel should stay and Laura had to go. Now I don't know how the voting went and I'm not saying that we necessarily should see the voting figures (it could be upsetting for someone to see they have polled a VERY LOW vote), but what I am saying is that it would be fairer to EVERYONE including the competitors, if the person who left the show was the one that polled the lowest votes of the general 'paying' public! If the mentors are going to make the ultimate decision of who stays and who goes then why bother with the public vote at all? Apart from the millions it raises in revenue of course!!!

Sponsored Links
What does peev me about the show is the fact that in most cases, it is NOT the public that decide who will leave the show. If it were, then the voting would be taken entirely from the telephone vote and NOT from the 'Mentors'.
By the same token, I could argue that it isn't the panel that decides either, because they only choose one from two contestants, not one from the whole set.

And if you're right, and I'm right, then nobody makes the decision, so which part of all that reasoning is wrong?

Two of the last five finalists have been voted off by the lowest public vote. The rest have been voted off by the mentors.
Er, the mentors are not able to influence any finalists other than the bottom two. I don't think that you can attribute what happens entirely to them. Also, we don't know if the three finalists who the mentors sent home were the ones with the lowest vote, or the lowest but one.

It is THEY that make the final decision as to who will leave from the two lowest polled competitors.
At this stage that's right, but that's how the competition works. It's not a democratic vote, or a referendum - it's a game show.

Forgive me if I'm being pedantic but surely if people have taken the time and spent the money to vote, the least they should be getting for their time and money is to vote on who stays and who goes.
The people who vote are told how it works before they spend any money on a phone call.

...what I am saying is that it would be fairer to EVERYONE including the competitors, if the person who left the show was the one that polled the lowest votes of the general 'paying' public!
But the paying public have the option not to pay, and they know the score if they do pay.

If the mentors are going to make the ultimate decision of who stays and who goes then why bother with the public vote at all? Apart from the millions it raises in revenue of course!!!
Because it saves all of the finalists that the public wants to save, except for two of them.

It's a marketing exercise, one big mahusive advert that manages not only to pay for itself but actually bring in an additional revenue stream. Clever eh?

Income generated from shows like this will help pay for those big cardboard retail display units (and the shopfloor space they occupy) that greet you on walking into HMV/Virgin/Mivvi/Our Price/whatever it's called now, and the supermarkets.

The more of this 'product' as Ben describes it, is on the shelves, the less space there will be for 'art'
only room on the shelves for the top 20 these days.

Talking of 'product'
Robbie Williams was signed to EMI for £80 million, as a result the company had to shed jobs and drop artists.
Ironically, his last album underperformed sales wise and a million unsold copies were recycled for use in road surfacing in China. He is now on strike
:LOL:

Bring back TOTP! At least the show had the odd element of diversity.

Many years ago, my kids used to watch a talent show where the actual number of votes by the public were displayed. To my mind, this was a much more open and fairer system than that used in the x-factor. Having said that, the contestants and the viewing public know and accept the x-factor rules because if they didn't, then the contestants wouldn't enter and the public wouldn't vote.

Sponsored Links
I agree Softus, people are aware of what's going on before they vote/enter etc. I just think it stinks. The viewing/paying public DO NOT have the ultimate decision who stays and who goes until the final.

Ah well all this would be irrelevant if we brought back the.........

CLAPOMETER! :D (No its not a device for measuring how much Gonorrhea you have younger viewers!) :eek: And yes, before anyone breaks their neck to jump in, I know, 'the Clapometer was just for fun'... just like my post!!!... Actually, most of my posts! :eek:

Green0904_468x686.jpg

CLAPOMETER! :D (No its not a device for measuring how much Gonorrhea you have

Also that in itself would be entertaining to watch. As part of the rules, anyone who makes the top ten has to have their STI test results read out on the show.

The show could be renamed, X-Factor (plus who's got the non-specific urethritis factor) :mrgreen:

I agree Softus, people are aware of what's going on before they vote/enter etc. I just think it stinks.
Your nose must be more sensitive than mine - what does it stink of?

The viewing/paying public DO NOT have the ultimate decision who stays and who goes until the final.
But nobody has the ultimate decision, because the judges are forced to choose between the two that the public vote for the least, and they are often not the two that the judges would elect to put in that position.

The same (or similar) formula was used, IIRC, on Maria (or whatever it was called), when Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber had some power of veto over the public selection. I forget how he wielded that power, but I believe that both the show and the winner were very popular.

I agree Softus, people are aware of what's going on before they vote/enter etc. I just think it stinks.
Your nose must be more sensitive than mine - what does it stink of?

The viewing/paying public DO NOT have the ultimate decision who stays and who goes until the final.
But nobody has the ultimate decision, because the judges are forced to choose between the two that the public vote for the least, and they are often not the two that the judges would elect to put in that position.

The same (or similar) formula was used, IIRC, on Maria (or whatever it was called), when Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber had some power of veto over the public selection. I forget how he wielded that power, but I believe that both the show and the winner were very popular.
Hmmm, all I have to say is Conveyor Belt!

Are you saying that LW's face looks as though it's been run over by a plane?

Shame on you! :eek:

has anyone ever seen the x-factor when the bottom 2 have been owned by the same judge? i for one cannot recall that as it would make interesting voting by the judge in question!which one of their own to save?i agree public vote and lowest.................. your gone!!

It happend in the first show this year, 2 of LW bands were bottom 2.

Simon Cowell had the casting vote, but decided intead to send it to LOCKOUT and let the public vote decide the result.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Back