Laws/contract/policy

I

imamartian

On the back of the 'haggling' thread, i thought it might be helpful to explore our rights when you go into a shop... there are some very knowledgeable people on here...

So we have things like a "returns policy" and "refund policy" am i right that these are policies defined by the shop you're in, and are not legally enforcible?

Whereas, if Boots decide you can only buy 4 paracetomol from them, then that's the contract they offer to you, and you can't demand to be able to buy more?

Sponsored Links
Whereas, if Boots decide you can only buy 4 paracetomol from them, then that's the contract they offer to you, and you can't demand to be able to buy more?

Thats not a policy boots have brought in thats a legal Legislation introduced in 1998 anywhere.

The Medicines for Human Use (Marketing Authorisation Etc.) Amendment Regulations 1998

The myth that annoys me, is when someone says they cannot take something back because they dont have a receipt.....you dont even need one!

There is also the one when a retailer puts up a sign saying 'no returns on sale goods' absolute rubbish as a sales good is no different to any other purchase.

Have you also ever driven through a car wash and noticed a sign saying 'users of this car wash do so at their own risk'........that statement is invalid and not legal, if you never knew the sign existed until after you paid. So if your car is damaged, then the car wash operator are liable.

Thats not a policy boots have brought in thats a legal Legislation introduced in 1998 anywhere.

The Medicines for Human Use (Marketing Authorisation Etc.) Amendment Regulations 1998

What? 4? :eek: are you sure?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean packets?

You can walk into every shop that sells them and end up buying as many as you want in theory.

Think only a chemist can sell you 32 tablets, non pharmacy type shops can only sell you 16 tablets. They usually restrict it to 2 packs of 16 though.

Do you mean packets?

You can walk into every shop that sells them and end up buying as many as you want in theory.

Think only a chemist can sell you 32 tablets, non pharmacy type shops can only sell you 16 tablets. They usually restrict it to 2 packs of 16 though.

surely packets is irrelavent.. it depends on the strength of the tablet.... but my thinking is, that the governement set a limit, but shops can set a lower limit in their policy, because it's an offer to treat?

I think it means the strongest over the counter which is 500mg. Its down to the recomendation from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society

The myth that annoys me, is when someone says they cannot take something back because they dont have a receipt.....you dont even need one!

There is also the one when a retailer puts up a sign saying 'no returns on sale goods' absolute rubbish as a sales good is no different to any other purchase.

Have you also ever driven through a car wash and noticed a sign saying 'users of this car wash do so at their own risk'........that statement is invalid and not legal, if you never knew the sign existed until after you paid. So if your car is damaged, then the car wash operator are liable.

You have to be able to prove your purchase and only illegible for a refund under statutory rights legislation - not just changing your mind.

I think it means the strongest over the counter which is 500mg. Its down to the recomendation from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society

I accept that, but if a shop has a policy which is less... you can't demand to buy the RPS amount ..

No you can't. Little corner shops used to buy special offer loss leaders from supermarkets and then resell them. A shop can sell as few as it wishes.

No you can't. Little corner shops used to buy special offer loss leaders from supermarkets and then resell them. A shop can sell as few as it wishes.

Joe, we agree !! can someone take a photo!!!!

But this is what i want to iron out for people...

[quote="imamartian";p="2207950"
But this is what i want to iron out for people...[/quote]

Really helpful of you IM..but hopefully not too many form members are cotemplating an overdose :eek:

[quote="imamartian";p="2207950"
But this is what i want to iron out for people...

Really helpful of you IM..but hopefully not too many form members are cotemplating an overdose :eek:[/quote]

well like it started, lets focus on returns and refunds then ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lots of info on the net IM if you need it.... suppliers of goods have a 'duty of care' to the consumer
.....the problem often is that people don't complain even when they have a justified reason to do so ...our acceptance of below standard goods and service, just means shoddy standards and goods become acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Back