Stop and Search in Supermarkets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say I find the new trend of stop and search policy in supermarkets rather frustrating. They introduce self check outs, to save them money, but now appear to have installed barriers at the exit to prevent you from leaving without having your bag checked. They of course have no legal right to stop and search and I normally tell them, they need to open the barrier and allow me to leave. In a Sainsbury recently the checkout person was rather insistent claiming she has the right.

Supermarkets are relying on implied acceptance of their terms of sale granting them the right. However, it has not been tested and if you have not been made aware, then this right is very weak. Further once you have paid for the goods and assuming you wish to deny them the right, you are left with them allowing you to leave or offering you a refund.

I do appreciate that shops get £1000s of losses every day to shop lifters, but unless they have grounds to believe you are shoplifting they have absolutely no right to stop and search you.

Sponsored Links
I have to say I find the new trend of stop and search policy in supermarkets rather frustrating.
Never happened to me, and never seen it happening. I didn't know it was a thing.

Sponsored Links
Its one of the reasons i dont use shop and scan in tesco, the number of people challenged and watched over at the checkout defeats the object of shopping more efficiently. They seem to assume you must be a shoplifter if you use the service, yet they try to sell it to you as you enter the premises. Self service checkout is a lot quicker once you get the hang of it. It is only a matter of time before human checkouts are phased out.

It makes you think that supermarket shoplifting must be a crime many get away with.

Blup

Better be careful how you go about it. I don't imagine a buxom bint will take kindly to any accusation of having a couple o' melon's up her jumper.

I do appreciate that shops get £1000s of losses every day to shop lifters, but unless they have grounds to believe you are shoplifting they have absolutely no right to stop and search you.

I have never heard or seen any of this, but my understanding is that you can refuse them - it is then down to them to put up, or shut up. Either call the police to carry out the search, or let you go on your way. They cannot insist on searching, you have to volunteer.

I’ve occasionally been subject to a check before accepting payment for my shopping at the scan and go tills in Sainsbury's but no barriers after you have paid. They check just a certain number of items, apparently at random as the till gives the employee how many items to check and if those items tally up with what you have scanned it’s all okay, you can pay and go. Once, one of the items checked didn’t show up as being scanned so they had to check the whole lot. Turned out I’d forgot to scan it but at the same time I had scanned something else twice and my bill came to £4 cheaper! The last two times I have been checked was when, for quickness, I had used the self scan and only bought 4 items. Didn’t even have a bag and just had them in my hands.

Last edited:
I've never bothered with the shop and scan. Wouldn't want to touch one of those scanners. Worked in a shop years ago, sharing a pricing tag machine. Everybody had an eye infection by the end of the week.

I forgot something the other day again and had to do the 'shop of shame', at least now in the branch I shop in they re-scan it in the confines of the self checkout tills rather than making you join a queue of the drongos in the conventional tills as they used to in the beginning. :evil::p

Asda run a random stop policy.

Now and again your bag will be checked against your receipt, no personal search.

See nothing wrong in that.

Sponsored Links
Back