Stop and Search in Supermarkets

O
My beef is the routine receipt scanning/checking in order to open the checkout barrier. Primark do it as well.
I've never seen this. Been in a lot of shops all over the country.

My local tesco superstore has barriers at the entry, not the exit, to "force " you to leave by the till/checkouts, but no barriers there. Staff in that area though for occasional checks, not on everyone.

I ALWAYS use a till with an operator though.

Sponsored Links
I was querying your use of "routine". The practice is a new one on me, and I've probably spent more time in Primark's than most.

Sponsored Links
If you don't like it, try this....

“This has really put me off going back considering I have a large choice of supermarkets.”

My local M&S mini was plagued with shoplifters stealing meat and booze to sell on. (I blame the people who buy the stuff)
They used to have a bell system where a checkout would trigger their bells when they spotted a shoplifter in the shop and all staff would head for the floor. Sometimes they would have security.

over a year ago the manager and security chased a shop lifter across the road, punches were thrown and the security guard was jailed for manslaughter/murder.

they now have barriers, never seen them closed, but presumably they can be operated remotely?

Like I said, not routine at all.

In this instance, you are the drunken troublemaker.

Since when was waking in to a shop and buying stuff, troublemaking?

Legally, I didn't have show him anything. He could only look in my shopping bag with my consent.

I understand why stores use RFID systems but they know that many (innocent) things can trigger them. I am not a lawyer, but I am not sure that simply triggering the alarm is sufficient grounds to accuse someone of shoplifting and detain them. I suspect that they have to witness you shoplifting before they can detain you, otherwise the store may face charges of false imprisonment.

The alarm went off once when I was walking out of Asda, I didn't have anything so, I just kept on walking. The female security thug came after me and demanded that I stop saying that if the alarm goes you must stop.
Anyway, she was extremely rude and I felt intimidated so I phoned Asda head office, reported her and, they sent me a gift voucher.

The alarm went off once when I was walking out of Asda, I didn't have anything so, I just kept on walking. The female security thug came after me and demanded that I stop saying that if the alarm goes you must stop.
Anyway, she was extremely rude and I felt intimidated so I phoned Asda head office, reported her and, they sent me a gift voucher.
I set the alarm off in Asda in Hamilton? walked out with a tag on a bottle of wine, no one stopped me, also set the alarm off carrying a drum of data cable into shop to do some wiring, its a coil thing

I set the alarm off in Asda in Hamilton? walked out with a tag on a bottle of wine, no one stopped me, also set the alarm off carrying a drum of data cable into shop to do some wiring, its a coil thing

Yeah, it can be an induction thing. Many things will trip them. Laptops and phones can (apparently) trip them under certain circumstances.

My stepsons old pacemaker used to set them off in ASDA when we walked in, but his new one is fine. He still has to declare he has one before going through airport security though.
My wife and I visited Matalan the other day to get youngest stepson some trousers. Get to the till and a 'floor walker(?), said to use the self-scan till, as we clearly only had 2 pairs of trousers draped over the trolley. My wife scans them, pays for them, gets the receipt and we begin walking towards the doors, (for some unknown reason, the tills are near the back wall, not near the doors). We walked about 25-30 paces when the 'floor walker' suddenly approaches and asks why we didn't scan the small white box under one of the pairs of trousers. I handed her the box and said, "See if you can scan it." She pulls out her little gadget and tries THREE times to scan it. I said, "I didn't scan it because I've just bought it from Screwfix across the road. As it is mildly heavy, I put it in the trolley to save carrying it."
No apology, no embarrassed smile or anything. Just a swift turnaround and walked away from us. The amusing/annoying thing was, I had the receipt sticking out the lid of the box with the Screwfix writing/logo clearly visible.

No apology, no embarrassed smile or anything.
There are some nasty/unhappy people around, that's a fact.

My local Aldi has something which the tills can't deal with properly and every time I go through the out door the alarm goes off. First couple of times they had a look in my bag and figured out the problem. Now they wave me a cheery goodbye when it happens and we all have a laugh.

Not making light of the problem but if I had a stand up argument everytime it happened I would get nowhere.

I bought 12 bottles of Pimms during the Kings Coronation when it was on special @ £10/litre, in two boxes, didn't realise (and neither did the till people) that they all had the neck cable tag things on, inside the boxes, turns out they easily just snip right off with some wire cutters. And yes the buzzer went off as I left the store but I just carried on regardless.

Sponsored Links
Back