Stop and Search in Supermarkets

Super market I was in the other day on self check out if you wanted a bag you had to ask for one and a staff member came to yer till and scanned it

Apparently theft ( non pay ment ) of bags is prolific :ROFLMAO:

First bag I have paid for on self check out :cool:

Sponsored Links
Funny how they will challenge customers who have just spent a good few bob with them , but the shop lifter that goes in openly fills a big bag with meat etc they are told not to confront them .

I walked in to my local Asda a couple of years ago. I triggered the RFID security scanner as I entered. Security guard came over. He was polite so I was happy to empty my rucksack. It is a 35L bag full of tools/screws/etc. Fair play to the guy, he noticed that a 1" brush from a multi box of Purdy brushes had an RFID tag on it, It seems that Purdy put them on the 1" brush even though most decorators' merchants don't use security tags and have no way of disabling them at the point of purchase.

The brush had been in my bag for about 2 years and only tripped two RFID machines in that time.

So how do they actually check it. Do they go through every item in your bag to see if it matches your receipt. What if you didn't request a receipt?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if true and slightly OT, however I saw something online that said if you're ever stopped by those council contracted 3rd parties who issue fixed penalty fines for littering, you can simply walk away, give them no info, and there's diddly squat they can do about it?

That, I heard, is correct. All they can do, is call a police(person?), and they cannot detain you until ones turns up.

So how do they actually check it. Do they go through every item in your bag to see if it matches your receipt. What if you didn't request a receipt?

Walking out of my local Sainsbury one night. I triggered the scanner, the numpty security guard came over. I had only purchased items from the crisp/biscuit isle- I had not been near any high value isle. He insisted that I let him look in my bag. I had consumed a few pints before getting there. I refused to left him "look" in the sainsbury shopping back and proceeded to drop each multi-bag of crisps on to the floor. He then let me wend my way.

I didn't go back for about two years... and then needed a pee there one day after getting off the tube...

You could go to the regular checkout queue. Mind you, if you did that, you may just as well shake hands with every customer that has loaded their stuff on the belt before you as when the cashier scans their shopping they will be transferring any germs from their hands along with those on the cashiers hands to your shopping!

Bit like a handrail on a cruise ship...........:LOL::LOL:

Walking out of my local Sainsbury one night. I triggered the scanner, the numpty security guard came over. I had only purchased items from the crisp/biscuit isle- I had not been near any high value isle. He insisted that I let him look in my bag. I had consumed a few pints before getting there. I refused to left him "look" in the sainsbury shopping back and proceeded to drop each multi-bag of crisps on to the floor. He then let me wend my way.

I didn't go back for about two years... and then needed a pee there one day after getting off the tube...

In this instance, you are the drunken troublemaker.

Not sure if true and slightly OT, however I saw something online that said if you're ever stopped by those council contracted 3rd parties who issue fixed penalty fines for littering, you can simply walk away, give them no info, and there's diddly squat they can do about it?

I wish that were true...

The parasites that work for the likes of Kingdom- previously known as Kingdom Security (and contracted by local councils) have the law on their side. Under the 1990 Environmental Protection Act and the 2005 Cleaner Neighbourhoods Act, it is an offence to refuse to give them your details.

You can walk away, and on the balance of probability the police will not bother turning up, but it is an offense to do so.

For the record, you are not legally obliged to provide them with ID. They will ask you to do so because they don't want to run your name through the electoral roll, and they have no way of checking that you are the person that you claim to be.

Back in the days when FPNs were limited to £80, KIngdom took £60, even if the council didn't get the £80 FPN. The scummy staff got £7 per FPN after their second FPN.

It is now £150.

I am not condoning littering, but the company has a history of ignoring DEFRA's advice to environmental protection officers and will hand out FPNs in cases where DEFRA ask them not to.

That’s exactly what they depend on, along with “he must be guilty, he is in the dock”

while it is perfectly legal to ask to check the bag, they have no obligation. They cannot hold you with no evidence, but they can ban you from the shop. Although there is implied right of access, the shop can post up terms and conditions, presumably they have to be in a prominent position.

I was a member of Costco and they stop all customers at the gate. I am no longer in Costco, but not because of that. Presumably (never read them) those terms are in the joining Terms?
I frequently go to trade shows where there are also people selling goods. I do find it a pain that they insist on bag searches and so now don’t take a bag, or buy anything. I make a point of telling the stall holders when I collect their flyers the reason for this.

it does seem ironic that they save money by introducing self checkout, then have guards searching bags.
Costco is different as it's a membership model, so they have more ability to make it an accepted term. The two big Costcos near me usually always count your items off against the receipt. It's just another part of the process. But some people push straight by and the person on the exit doesn't challenge them.

For a Supermarket, they have no right to search your bag, unless they have grounds to suspect you of shop lifting. As this is an indictable offence, any citizen has the right to make a citizens arrest.

My beef is the routine receipt scanning/checking in order to open the checkout barrier. Primark do it as well.

what an odd conclusion. Have you heard of the invention known as the car? It allows people to travel about.

Sponsored Links
Back