Stop and Search in Supermarkets

Credit/debit cards when together can also set off the barrier alarms, I used to set them off all the time - reshuffled the cards in my wallet and all was good.
The security staff are absolutely not allowed to search you, they can however detain you for the police to do the search but only if they have evidence of you shoplifting. If any security staff do try to stop you, ask them where their SIA badge is, they certainly do not wear them in supermarkets yet are required to.

From a barrister:

By the way, it is an option to not be given a receipt, Asda's own tills offer this option.
I will not be stopped for this once I have paid, they may try to but I will refuse their requests and continue to leave.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Credit/debit cards when together can also set off the barrier alarms, I used to set them off all the time - reshuffled the cards in my wallet and all was good.
The security staff are absolutely not allowed to search you, they can however detain you for the police to do the search but only if they have evidence of you shoplifting. If any security staff do try to stop you, ask them where their SIA badge is, they certainly do not wear them in supermarkets yet are required to.

From a barrister:

By the way, it is an option to not be given a receipt, Asda's own tills offer this option.
I will not be stopped for this once I have paid, they may try to but I will refuse their requests and continue to leave.
To be clear - they must have reasonable suspicion of an indictable offence. shop lifting is an indictable offence as it can being either way (magistrate or crown court) I'm guessing he mentioned that in the video?

They cannot randomly stop and detain you.

He did.

I went through Home bargains, Aldi and Asda near me today.

Non of these have any system in place to stop you as your leaving.
Although there was a "quality check" as I scanned the self serve - nothing to do with quality, all to do with checking I have scanned what's in my trolley.

Correct, you have to volunteer yourself to be searched.

I was stopped again today in Sainsburys scan and go. I had a loaf of bread and a pack of 2 croissants. I seem to get stopped more often with fewer items! Perhaps they think it suspicious going through that route without a trolley of goods but I just do it for speed as I don’t fancy joining the regular queue.

Last edited:
Went to Sainsbury yesterday to buy a box of nicotine gum. I paid via the self checkout. Fortunately, I opted to print a receipt, I don't normally do so.

I beeped as I exited. The store bouncer came over. The staff told me that the self checkout tills don't always manage to deactivate the RFID and they used a self scan terminal to deactivate it. I asked why they don't improve the self checkout tills. They didn't offer a response.

It is worrying that stores know that their own anti-theft systems will provide false positives. Had I not had a receipt, I would have had to ask him to review the security cameras.

Sponsored Links
Back