Stop and Search in Supermarkets

I see nothing wrong in it. Their shop, their rules. Must be lawful as they all do it

Sponsored Links
I see nothing wrong in it. Their shop, their rules. Must be lawful as they all do it
That’s exactly what they depend on, along with “he must be guilty, he is in the dock”

while it is perfectly legal to ask to check the bag, they have no obligation. They cannot hold you with no evidence, but they can ban you from the shop. Although there is implied right of access, the shop can post up terms and conditions, presumably they have to be in a prominent position.

I was a member of Costco and they stop all customers at the gate. I am no longer in Costco, but not because of that. Presumably (never read them) those terms are in the joining Terms?
I frequently go to trade shows where there are also people selling goods. I do find it a pain that they insist on bag searches and so now don’t take a bag, or buy anything. I make a point of telling the stall holders when I collect their flyers the reason for this.

it does seem ironic that they save money by introducing self checkout, then have guards searching bags.

Thats because there so many scum bags who like to rip off retail businesses.

Sponsored Links
I've never bothered with the shop and scan. Wouldn't want to touch one of those scanners. Worked in a shop years ago, sharing a pricing tag machine. Everybody had an eye infection by the end of the week.
You could go to the regular checkout queue. Mind you, if you did that, you may just as well shake hands with every customer that has loaded their stuff on the belt before you as when the cashier scans their shopping they will be transferring any germs from their hands along with those on the cashiers hands to your shopping!

You could go to the regular checkout queue. Mind you, if you did that, you may just as well shake hands with every customer that has loaded their stuff on the belt before you as when the cashier scans their shopping they will be transferring any germs from their hands along with those on the cashiers hands to your shopping!
I usually do self-checkout, food only comes in contact with my hands and my bags. But never had a problem getting ill from shopping - people don't lick the conveyor belts where I shop.

I usually do self-checkout, food only comes in contact with my hands and my bags. But never had a problem getting ill from shopping - people don't lick the conveyor belts where I shop.
Maybe I was more aware during Covid but I noticed when shopping that loads of kids pick stuff up from shelves and it doesn’t matter if it is wrapped meat or child friendly sweet things? Kids would pick up items as toys or to show them to parents who seemed to never tell them not to pick stuff up (considering covid)

Even then, stuff lives in warehouses and is picked by minimum wage staff, plonked on the shelf by assistants, and handled by customers who look at labels.
To assume that goods are sterile from factory to checkout is bonkers

I’ve never gotten ill from using the scanners either. What idiot goes around licking things that the general public touches anyway?

Oh, wait….
Last year we were on a cruise and for a bit of exercise we walked everywhere and gave the lifts a miss. Anyway, the wife, who works in a hospital is obsessive with germs especially on a ship and kept telling me not to run my hand down the handrails. Got right on my tits so to prove there was nothing wrong with the handrail, I gave it a big long lick as we went down the stairs. Wrong move. Sick as a ****ing dog from both ends for two days! It was a right 'told you so' moment for her.

Reactions: JP_
You're forgetting that even if you get your items direct from the shelf and scanned them yourself, they've still been potentially touched by several customers and the shelf stacking peeps.

You're forgetting that even if you get your items direct from the shelf and scanned them yourself, they've still been potentially touched by several customers and the shelf stacking peeps.
We're all doomed!
Maybe so but if you’re self checking out, the transferring stops there and not when the cashier had finished their handling and transferring.

I love self check-out for multiple reasons previously discussed on here. Although there's the random check generated by the software, I've never been stopped for a random check when leaving the store (it's an Asda) maybe not all stores employ this tactic? I've never seen anyone else stopped en route to the exit either.

When we lived in Sydney it was commonplace to check handbags & backpacks as you went through the checkout

Not sure if true and slightly OT, however I saw something online that said if you're ever stopped by those council contracted 3rd parties who issue fixed penalty fines for littering, you can simply walk away, give them no info, and there's diddly squat they can do about it?

As I said earlier, in Sainsbury’s if they carry out a random till generated item check, it’s before you actually pay for your shopping and the goods become yours so it’s their goods they are checking, not yours. I’ve never seen them check anything other than their goods in their basket or trolley and I’ve certainly not seen them check in anyone’s personal bags.

Sponsored Links
Back