Laws requiring keyholders and registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I did not mean a blanket requirement countrywide just a locally enforced blanket requirement.

This whole topic came about because someone mentioned that it was illegal NOT to inform your local council and that if you did not you were breaking the law.

I think we have all established now that it is all dependent on your own particular local authority.:cool:

so you now accepted there is a legal framework available?

HTH clear that one up for you, remember, every day is a school day

HTH

Sponsored Links
I couldn't be bothered to read this diatribe, but I got the gist of it.

Below is a direct copy/paste taken from a 'pin in a map' to pick a council, this is what I found with no trouble.
Also looked at other councils, five in total. Found one that gave an on line form to fill in to give all key holder details, but they all required the information.

"Intruder Alarms

Misfiring intruder alarms cause a great deal of distress to a neighbourhood,
(there is an approved code of practice, available from DEFRA which give guidelines about their installation and use).
You should ensure that the alarm is regularly maintained and fitted with a twenty minute cut out device.
You should also notify Swale Council and the police of key holders who are available to attend promptly to deal with the alarm in your absence.
Swale Council can be contacted on 01*** ******."

Found another, don't know about this one then yaleguy3?

Isn't this your local council?

Even the best maintained alarm systems can develop faults so you can help us, and perhaps … your keyholders are we can contact them for you and get your alarm turned off without trauma. …
Authors: Marie Riley, Harrogate Borough Council Date: 20/01/2012 Size: 91KB

http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/Documents/Public Protection/CS_20120120_New_Reg_Form_2012.doc

Sponsored Links
... should ensure that the alarm is regularly maintained and fitted with a twenty minute cut out device.
You should also notify Swale Council and the police of key holders.. [/b]

I note the word "should" and the absence of the words "must under penalty of £50 fine as specified in bylaw nnnn"

So this too appears to be an advisory, not a legal compulsion.

JohnD, I suggest if you don't know what you are talking about, don't.

Euro, are you telling me that there is a legal compulsion?

I ask because in my original post, I asked about "a part of the UK where householders with an alarm are obliged by law to set up keyholders and to register with police or council?"

I particularly did not ask for examples where it might be a recommendadtion or good advice.

If you can show that there is a legal compulsion, I will be much obliged. I notice that the document you linked says "It is recommended that you have at least 2 keyholders who we can contact if your alarm sounds for a prolonged period. Please provide details here"

Please don't be offended that I am still asking my origional question.

No, I'm asking a clear question.

I'm sure you know the difference between a legal requirement and good advice. The difference is not one of semantics.

I asked for examples of one, so obviously I don't need examples of the other.

As I said, Please don't be offended that I am still asking my original question.

http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/Documents/Public Protection/CS_20120120_New_Reg_Form_2012.doc
From that document "It is recommended that you have at least 2 keyholders who we can contact if your alarm sounds for a prolonged period" Did you read the OP?

(See you got there first JohnD)

A general answer to the two following my posts.

I've been in the professional security business in excess of 40 years and these 'recommendations' have been around, in one form or another, and adhered to for all of that time.

So you could say 'it's the law'.

Still I suppose if you're not a professional accredited company you can do/say what you like.

So you could say 'it's the law'.

Don't be like that. I'm not attempting to make up laws.

People are free to follow advice and recommendations, but that's not what I was asking.

I was specifically asking for examples of places that had a legal requirement under which homeowners are compelled by law to register their alarms and/or keyholders.

Found another, don't know about this one then yaleguy3?

Isn't this your local council?
I do know and you will see there is no legal requirement.

There is a form to fill in but no penalties if you dont and no legal request to do so.

Please don't be offended that I am still asking my origional question.

<coughs> original question was answered earlier - you would need to ask each and every council if a section 60 notice is in place, I suggest you, like the other chap, email your local council and ask there in the first instance.

a section 60 notice can apply to a whole town or a single dwelling, your not going to find a list on-line.

the original guy was wrong, but so are you.

original question was answered earlier
No, the original question was "Does anyone know a part of the UK where householders with an alarm are obliged by law to set up keyholders and to register with police or council?" Europlex didn't answer that question, he seemed to be answering some different question that no-one had asked.

So far we've had (unspecified) parts of Derbyshire mentioned, and have not been able to see a link to a bylaw.. Quite surprisingly few replies that actually answered my question.

your not going to find a list on-line.
That's why I asked "Does anyone know a part of the UK where householders with an alarm are obliged by law to set up keyholders and to register with police or council?"

the original guy was wrong, but so are you.
The original guy was wrong when he said "All"

What do you think I've said that was wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back