Laws requiring keyholders and registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem after this that the following is the outcome

The statement originally made by someone along the lines that 'you are breaking the law if you don't nominate keyholders to your local authority'

Was not factually correct and that you would only be breaking the law if:-

Your local authority had designated the local area as an area where notification was a local legal requirement.

I have found examples where there IS a requirement and non compliance results in a fine.

In the first instance the fines are £5000 for installing equipment without a 20 minute cut out and £500 for failing to register keyholders.

http://www.harrow.gov.uk/info/200075/pollution/584/pollution_control-noise/4

In this second example again a £5000 fine for installing equipment without a cut out but NO fine for not registering keyholders just a reminder that if they have to come out you will pick up the tab.

http://www.woking.gov.uk/planning/envhealthservice/control/noisenuisance

Here it is made a legal requirement but no specific fine is mentioned.
http://www.islington.gov.uk/publicrecords/documents/Environment/Pdf/noiseinformation.PDF

It would seem that London Authorities are keener than elsewhere probably due to the denser populated areas and number of systems in use.

Sponsored Links
JohnD 635 posts since 01-01-12, that's what is calling trolling in anyone's book, look up the definition.

How about?

The Control of Noise (Code of Practice on Noise from Audible Intruder Alarms) Order
1981 (Statutory Instrument 1981 1820) gives guidance on methods for reducing the
incidence of nuisance caused by the ringing of alarms. If you permit your alarm to ring
unnecessarily action may be taken against you under Section 80 of the Environmental
Protection Act 1990. It is therefore in your own interest to adhere to the procedures set
out in the Code of Practice, which can be purchased at Government bookshops or
through booksellers.
Paragraph 5 of the Code of Practice states that the alarm holder should:
“within 48 hours of installing a new alarm system or of taking over an existing one, notify
the local Police of the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least 2 keyholders
and that the alarm holder should, at the same time, notify the local Environmental Health
Authority that the alarm has been newly installed or that he/she has taken over
responsibility for an existing alarm system”.

I suppose you all missed this too?
My previous links gave details, this is even more in depth.
If you "lot" had searched correctly rather than assuming.......................................

Sponsored Links
Hello Alarm.

Are you telling me that you can't tell the difference between a Legal Requirement, and Advice and Recommendations?

No, I`m telling you about statutory requirements.

As your up and about, what is it your qualified to do?

I have certain qualifications that are none of your business, but among other things, I am qualified to be a householder, and if I wish, to fit a DIY alarm of my choice as I see fit. So is anybody else.

I am not in a designated area so I am under no obligation to register such an alarm with anybody, or to have any keyholders if I don't feel like it, or to tell anybody who my keyholders are. There is no statutory obligation on me to do any of these things.

I am sorry that you are having difficulty grasping this.

So your not qualified to talk about anything here then.
Your not apparently qualified on other forums either.

As I said, in fact I am not going to bother again, you have been given the rules and regs.
How other authorities deal with and change ( as they do) is down to them. I work to the regs and above. It costs more but all bases are covered.

So,to finish. As your NOT qualified, kindly keep your unqualified opinion to yourself as you will be doing others an injustice if they took your word for things, hence my links provided.
Again what I said WAS true.

You have bored me and others to tears now.
Any decent company will show a potential alarm owner the relevant local regulations. ~Then it is up to the house holder.
Who could face stiff fines and bills in an issue if not registered.

Grasp that can you.

End of my contributions on this, all the facts have been given.
As you clearly admit by omission, you are not qualified to make any relevant comments.

Says it all really.

You do talk a lot of rubbish Alarm.

Even though you might not like it, any householder is entitled fit a DIY alarm if he so wishes. He is not obliged to have any qualification to do so. I can't see why you would wish to avoid this fact. I am among other things a householder, so I am just as entitled to do so as anyone else. You talk of qualification is entirely irrelevant since no qualification is necessary for a householder to fit an alarm.

If you don't like DIY and Householders perhaps you would feel more at home on a different website.

I regret to say it, but if you are trying to tell householders that they are not entitled to fit an alarm if they so desire, or that they need a qualification, or that they are all required by law to register their alarm and keyholders, even if they are not in a designated area, then you are lying, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

So despite giving you all the relevant links you still refute the facts.
Do what your mate does and turn words around to suit.

Qualifications are relevant as you clearly have none.

A householder can do as they wish even with alarm systems as long as they do as mentioned in the previous links. Do not go thru "special areas" then as you may or may not know building control gets involved.
Part P may also be involved so another law/regulation to adhere to.
As for householders or DIY I gladly assist free of charge as many other professionals do.
However I do not have to slacken my thoughts or advise whilst doing so.

I also contribute on professional sites (where we bicker over regs and what new ones are coming and even how we can alter them)and other DIY sites.
I have to admit here is the only one where people argue with the advice given.
One member here was even accused of not knowing anything about a product, a professional I know and respect. Leading in certain aspects of radio technology and sitting on the European Council for setting up the EN standards that not only we work to but the rest of Europe. Also the head of the department of one of the leading companies worldwide.

Two others here also beta test equipment for the majors , I have personally had manuals rewritten and discovered issues in panels before they were "publicly" released. Had the software and hardware changed.

So for you to say, as someone totally unqualified
You do talk a lot of rubbish Alarm.
is actually quite funny.

What is it you do again?

Alarm - "all alarms need to notify keyholders, it`s the law"

your wrong on this point, sorry.

John D - "rubbish, show me one part of the country where this is true"

you were also wrong.

it happens sometimes in life, get over it.

arguing-on-internet-272x300.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back