Lead pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

I've noticed what I thought was condensation on my main water pipe but after closer inspection I've realised it has a tiny pinhole in it! It's hardly any water coming out but obviously I want to stop it! Is there a way to seal this hole? Or repair it? Thanks guys[/code]

Sponsored Links
you can buy lead-copper couplings, not sure if you can buy a lead repair coupling, so you might need 2 and a bit of copper, but they are readily available, you should get rid of lead pipe anyway, i appreciate it could be costly but worth it
leadloc is one make i know of which is good, someone else will post other good types

wipe it :idea:

assuming you can catch a mole

and before all you rule book merchants start its lead so soldering it aint gonna make a jot of difference ;)

I would love to get rid of the lead pipe but it goes straight into the concrete floor and I would hate to imagine how they ran the pipe when they built this house! I can just imagine that digging up my whole kitchen floor would be such an awful job! Thanks for the advice! I was hoping there would be something quick and easy I could use!

Sponsored Links
Yeah I was under the impression that soldering it was a no no! But if I can then that would be easier!! I suppose u gotta worry about getting it too hot! Lol

it is a contravention of the water regs to solder a lead pipe (yes the lead is dangerous, but i think soldering can cause an electrolytic reaction (or is that when you solder lead to copper as there are different metals being joined)
cant see your house from here but you might not need to dig out old pipe just reroute a copper one above the floor, still a bigger job than you wanted i'm sure

You could wipe a patch on the lead perfectly safely, if you can get the water out.

So what are my chances of finding a sympathetic plumber who could wipe the pipe? Or is it something I could do myself?! Any tips? Also if worst came to the worst and I had to replace the lead pipe would that mean digging trenches in the garden? Sounds like alot of work!!

So what are my chances of finding a sympathetic plumber who could wipe the pipe? Or is it something I could do myself?! Any tips? Also if worst came to the worst and I had to replace the lead pipe would that mean digging trenches in the garden? Sounds like alot of work!!

Depends what you call avon. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back