lead water pipe

Don't get me started on something else!

what would it mean if it was asbestos-cement to us?

Sponsored Links
Yes I would be insured but Not against panicking women :rolleyes:

I wonder why everyone you have spoken too says its not their job

Starting to think th same maybe I was wrong maybe I am a Carpenter or maybe plain old lead poisoning

Do you wind your boyfriend up this much or do you just pick on inocent tradesman?

Sponsored Links
the estate agent put us in touch with a plumber in the beginning, he charged them £30 to say that yes it was lead (our survey said that) and then told them it wasn't his area of expertise! Other plumbers have said they can only connect the pipes but not dig the holes, and builders have said they can dig the holes but not lay the pipes. I guess we could employ both - though i'm guessing that would be double the expense! We were told the other day that it is a civil engineers job anyway

Sorry K3rry after all my posts I will have to agree with you

All options of free estimates and a free visit have now expired sorry

Plenty of people out there who can dig holes and lay pipes. Builders can do it as long as they do it correctly, plumbers can do it as long as they aren't too lazy. Get the holes dug yourself, then get a plumber... endless possibilities.

Asbestos cement mains don't really pose a health risk unless you are unfortunate enough to have to cut into one with a stihl saw or remove one from the ground. It is only breathing asbestos fibres/dust that causes a problem.

I'm waiting for somebody to suddenly discover negative health effects of rockwool in lofts, its bloody dusty and everybody has sppent the last 20+ years insulating their houses with it...

Box basher look at my posts I was offering free advice

I have said about rockwool for a while I think in a few years thes solicitors will be putting thing up like

Have you worked with Rockwool for extended periods we can help

just phone our claims number on- ***********

Box basher look at my posts I was offering free advice

I must admit that the majority of my exposeure to rockwool/fibreglass insulation is attributed to having a train set in the loft as a kid...

- It is horrible stuff, particularly the older types. It is made of fine fibres/particles (like asbestos).
- It is an irritant to skin.
- It accumulates/holds dust until moved.
- It is in almost all lofts now.

I agree Sime, it will be one of the next industrial illness claim fads...

I always wear a disposable dust mask if a loft is particularly dusty, same with underfloors where they are particularly dry. Not sure if it makes much difference but its got to help...

Thanks for all of the pointers, this is a really great site with lots of really helpful people!

I think probably we have just not phoned around enough plumbers/builders etc. At least we now have a rough idea what is involved in the job and the people we should be contacting. Neither myself or my boyfriend are DIY minded, so your help has been invaluable. Thanks!

i am just about to get my lead pipe replaced and all I did was to phone the local water board and get them to give me a few names of local companies that will do the work.

I managed to find one company who is approved by the local water board and as such the local water board dont have to inspect their work.

The pipes around 24 foot long and he uses a mole driller via 4 holes and came in at around £450 including a new stop tap.

that is interesting to hear. The person my boyfriend spoke to at the water board said they were not allowed to give names of contractors, so i guess its a case of getting through to the right person who will give names. Just out of interest, is your property level or elevated? I'm not concerned about getting the work done or even the price. We're just concerned about how invasive the work will be purely because it is in an elevated position. Like, a few of you have talked about digging relatively shallow trenches, but the concern is how deep they will have to dig inside the property in order to make the trench street level, if you get what I mean! Anyway, thanks for the tip, we will contact the water board again and see if they can reccommend anyone.

Mark,

The guy doing the job isn't called Roger by any chance is he?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back