Leaking Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It only leaks when I turn it on is the first relevant point. I searched google and youtube and it seems people advise putting ptfe tape round the threads.

Secondly it only effects the cold water supply. Thirdly the landlord claims there's no external stopcock and whoever installed it put it so close to the wall that using a freeze kit as they come might not be practical.

Could improvise with the freeze kit potentially, but the other problem is that all the nuts seem stuck even after applying oil and the parts I need to access are behind the toilet soil pipe. It's like something from Fawlty Towers.

Sponsored Links
Usually tightening up the smaller ‘gland nut’ is all thats needed, but if its ancient then you indo the gland nut and wind ptfe cord clockwise around the shaft, packing it in with some Vaseline.
John :)

I know it's the landlords responsibility, but try telling my landlord that...

Sponsored Links
Be a shame if the leak got worse and damaged something precious of yours, especially after you'd notified him in writing about it. :)
And wldn''t worry about revenge eviction at the moment...

Usually tightening up the smaller ‘gland nut’ is all thats needed, but if its ancient then you indo the gland nut and wind ptfe cord clockwise around the shaft, packing it in with some Vaseline.

Tried to tighten the small gland nut and it just made the leak worse. Are you supposed to turn it clockwise?

Turn off stoptap.
Undo gland nut.
Wrap about ten turns of PTFE tape around shaft, pushing it down every 2-3 wraps (otherwise gland nut won't go back down).
Replace gland nut, job done.

I was told by the landlord that there's no external stopcock. If I try that without cutting off the water supply it will flood the place. Do have a freeze kit but because the pipes are so close to the wall I would have to somehow improvise to be able to use it or chisel out behind the pipework. Thinking of just getting a plumber in but don't know what they would make of it either.

I was told by the landlord that there's no external stopcock. If I try that without cutting off the water supply it will flood the place. Do have a freeze kit but because the pipes are so close to the wall I would have to somehow improvise to be able to use it or chisel out behind the pipework. Thinking of just getting a plumber in but don't know what they would make of it either.

Why have you come on here to ask advice and then completely ignore the advice that you have been given of how us plumbers would fix the leaking gland nut???

Andy

Why does it only leak when the stoptap is on? I was thinking opening the tap before attempting to tighten the small nut at the top of the tap again might help? When I tried to tighten it previously I had the tap off.

You won't get a flood by removing the small gland nut - you sure will if you undo the large body nut though :eek:
Turn the stop cock off and work away!

Why does it only leak when the stoptap is on? I was thinking opening the tap before attempting to tighten the small nut at the top of the tap again might help? When I tried to tighten it previously I had the tap off.
It can't leak when the water is off mate. Only when you turn the water on, water can flow through the tap, and in your case some is escaping through the gland stuffing.

Why have you come on here to ask advice and then completely ignore the advice that you have been given of how us plumbers would fix the leaking gland nut???

Andy

I'm not ignoring advice. I'm explaining the problem as best I can and seeking clarification. Like I just asked if the stoptap should be open before I attempt to tighten the nut again. Should it be?

Thanks for your patience and replys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back