Leaking Stopcock

Yes you are, you haven't done what Kidgreen has suggested.

Just call the landlord to sort it.

Andy

Did you read my reply to him?

I was told by the landlord that there's no external stopcock. If I try that without cutting off the water supply it will flood the place. Do have a freeze kit but because the pipes are so close to the wall I would have to somehow improvise to be able to use it or chisel out behind the pipework. Thinking of just getting a plumber in but don't know what they would make of it either.

Sponsored Links
Don't use the freeze kit- it'll cost you money (which you shouldn't be spending, its not your problem) and if you split the water main by freezing it (which is possible) you'll be in real trouble. There will be a external stopcock but if you're in a house thats been bodged into flats or bedsits that external tap will cut off all the other tenants. As @Burnerman , you can repack the stuffing gland with your stoptap off. If that doesn't fix it then leave it alone & tell your landlord it needs fixing

Sponsored Links
If I try that without cutting off the water supply it will flood the place.
No, it won't. Have a look at this image. When you screw the stop valve closed the washer prevents inflow of water from the mains. Undoing the gland nut then only allows a few drops of water weeping past the spindle from the consumer pipework to escape, so you can then put in more packing (ptfe) to stop the leak.

No, it won't. Have a look at this image. When you screw the stop valve closed the washer prevents inflow of water from the mains. Undoing the gland nut then only allows a few drops of water weeping past the spindle from the consumer pipework to escape, so you can then put in more packing (ptfe) to stop the leak.

Just put the ptfe tape under the small gland nut then you mean?

Turn the stopcock off. Undo the gland nut and pull upward to handle.
Wrap PTFE tape around the SHAFT ,tightly about 4 times. Then pack it downward into the body. wrap another couple of turns of PTFE tightly around the shaft and again pushing it downward into the body.
Then refit ,tighten down the gland nut ,but do not overtighten. Open the stopcock almost fully.
If still weeping ,tighten gland nut a bit more.

Turn the stopcock off. Undo the gland nut and pull upward to handle.
Wrap PTFE tape around the SHAFT ,tightly about 4 times. Then pack it downward into the body. wrap another couple of turns of PTFE tightly around the shaft and again pushing it downward into the body.
Then refit ,tighten down the gland nut ,but do not overtighten. Open the stopcock almost fully.
If still weeping ,tighten gland nut a bit more.

Ah! Will give that a try, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back