Leaking taps - cannot open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. New to this forum so please be gentle! The sink in my bathroom has been dripping lately, getting a bit worse over the last week. I was going to take the handles off and replace washers but I'm having a problem getting the handles off. Any suggestions?

It says "PJH02" on the back of the tap. There's a small retaining screw underneath each handle which I have managed to unscrew out. The handles now seem a bit looser but they won't come off. Don't want to wrench them in case I break something.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the handles off to repair the leaking? Will post a photo of it.
30631232700_694fdfa73f_b.jpg

22754284358_db71cec76d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are no washers in your taps, they are quarter turn so you need to match the cartridges, the handles should just pull off now you have taken the grub screw out if not try unscrewing the circular ridge on the end of the tap body.

New tap time, it will work out quicker and easier just to replace the tap rather than try and source new internal fittings.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Why ? its not mission impossible to match up a couple of cartridges, diying a tap repair is much cheaper than a new tap.

Why ? its not mission impossible to match up a couple of cartridges, diying a tap repair is much cheaper than a new tap.

+1. Take cartriges out and take them to local plumbers merchant. About £6 for a pair (depending on which ones fit).

It also depends on how much the op likes the taps, they may also match the rest of the bathroom, its not going to cost him/her anything to try and match the cartridges.

Getting new internals that fit into the tap is not a problem. The problem is finding the internal that fits onto the handle, you could try 20 different internals and still have no luck. the spindle has to have the same number of spines and the same length. By all means go to the plumbers merchant, all they will do is send you off the the next one. Have a good weekend driving around.

Andy

Getting new internals that fit into the tap is not a problem. The problem is finding the internal that fits onto the handle, you could try 20 different internals and still have no luck. the spindle has to have the same number of spines and the same length. By all means go to the plumbers merchant, all they will do is send you off the the next one. Have a good weekend driving around.

Andy
Or it could be the ones in the link :whistle: AND he might live walking distance from screwfix :whistle::whistle:

It could be? but wont.

I used to carry all the tap internals that screwfix sell, they only fitted the most common taps. In the end I stopped carrying them as most of the taps were Chinese imports.

Andy

Take the insert out measure the length, note where the threads are, count the splines , go on to the internet, find a match, buy them, replace the old ones and your done, if the op wants to spend the time and effort he could save him self a few quid,

Try to keep in mind this is a diyer doing this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back