Leave - and take your flags with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also seem to forget the immature '*******s to brexit' tshirts being worn in there... anyway.

Sponsored Links
If that means we see the back of that fascist for good, then that is something to be positive about.

Half the voters voted Brexit.

Get Brexit Done - mature and representative
Sloblocks to Brexit - immature and not representative

I'll never understand politics.

I guess all we can learn from this is that the real snowflakes are the leave voters who get all upset and start crying because of a naughty word written on a T-Shirt.

I bet you all listen to Smooth Radio

m_5b9ae7907386bca0b52208a1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Half the voters voted Brexit.

Get Brexit Done - mature and representative
Sloblocks to Brexit - immature and not representative

I'll never understand politics.

I guess all we can learn from this is that the real snowflakes are the leave voters who get all upset and start crying because of a naughty word written on a T-Shirt.

I bet you all listen to Smooth Radio

m_5b9ae7907386bca0b52208a1.jpg
Here we go again.

Deep breathe Festive...

No it's about hypocrisy both sides have demonstrated immature behaviour to our neighbours and each other. No it doesn't make it alright two wrongs dont make a right either. It's the same in politics it shouldn't be us and them it's not a football match we have more in common with the opposition than just seeing the other side lose.

My favourite radio stations stemmed from early pirate stations playing house to and occasional radio4 to mainly soundcloud spotify and my own incredible sets I mix with Ableton when i have the capacity. Dont listen to many preachers i prefer music. Breaks down so many barriers.

And what the Right Wing Press doesn't share with UK citizens.

Isn’t every election based on that? I’m sure there were just as many in the remain camp that had vested interests too. They’d be pretty stupid if they didn’t. In the end, for all its faults, democracy won and we’ve just got to shut up and get on with it. Of course there will be winners and losers and despite all the predictions (guesses), we won’t truly know for 5 to 10 years whether it’s panned out for the general good. We also don’t know how things would have panned out in the next 5 or 10 years had we remained in the EU.
this is the excuse brexiteers trot out -whataboutery "everybody lies"

the vested interests of remain and leave have no equivalence

the leave campaign was funded by millionaires in order to make money from disaster capitalism and benefit from making the UK a tax haven.

the remain campaign wasnt based on lies -we already were EU members.

What does "democracy won" actually mean?

It sounds good and a laudable justification for anything, from leaving the EU to Hitler, but is it?
The phrase is also generally only used by those who agree with the outcome.

Leaving aside the fact that, as is the case in this example, the ignorant might determine the things about which they know nothing.
Is that a sensible way to run things?
Yes, I know everyone here knew what they were doing, but it is undeniable that the ignorant and prejudiced were many; far more than required to reverse the outcome.

What else would be altered by this wonderful method of deciding the country's policies?
Perhaps good things like avoiding the Iraq war or bad things like prejudice and superstition being enacted into law.
That a majority of people (50.001% of those who vote) think one way does not make it right. Those who are against things are much more motivated to vote than are the content.
Also, I would blame most of the Parliamentary Representatives for selfishly capitulating so readily.

Perhaps ironically "democracy has lost" because you will never again be allowed to vote in a referendum on anything important for fear of getting the 'wrong' result. That might be a good thing.

That a majority of people (50.001% of those who vote) think one way does not make it right.

This is a big failing of the referendum, and any other that operates in the same way.

In theory, if the only one person in the country voted to leave and everybody else stayed at home, thinking "it'll never happen", then that person's vote would be democracy in action. OK, totally unrealistic example, but the point is, there needs to be a clear threshold. This is not radical thinking, it is how it works in other countries, and how all business operates.

If this was a corporate action (I used to work in that field) all shareholders would be asked to vote, but anybody not voting would have the "default action" applied to their vote. The default would always be "keep things as they are". If people don't bother voting, their right is still maintained and acted upon.

What does "democracy won" actually mean?
In my mind, it meant that the majority that could be bothered to get off their arse and go out and cast their vote got to choose the outcome of the question asked. I can't for the life of me think of any other meaning. Yes, I voted to leave but if the vote went the other way, although I wouldn't have liked it, I would still have to accept it and move on because that's democracy.

but the point is, there needs to be a clear threshold.
And who would decide that threshold? You? Me? Lally? Notchy? Sir Gally? The leave campaign? The remain campaign? The EU? The UK government? The government opposition party? Who?

That is part of the problem. For years I always voted in the EU elections, but so many people I know didn't bother. What's the point? Not interested! people would say. But come Brexit, suddenly everybody is interested in how the EU is run. Had people engaged with the democratic process more, then maybe we would have a better relationship with Europe and a better understanding of how it benefits us as a nation.

All over now. Fat lady is warming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back