Leave - and take your flags with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who would decide that threshold? You? Me? Lally? Notchy? Sir Gally? The leave campaign? The remain campaign? The EU? The UK government? The government opposition party? Who?

Parliament decides, not political parties or campaigners.

50% or more of the electorate should be needed in referendums.

Sponsored Links
I would still have to accept it and move on because that's democracy

its not democracy because the leave campaign sold a brexit that cant be delivered

so 17.4million people voted for a lie

not democracy, just a load of lies and propaganda

which is what you get when you get the public to vote for something very complex -it gets simplified down to meaningless slogans.
simple messages are vote winners, not the truth

If this was a corporate action (I used to work in that field) all shareholders would be asked to vote, but anybody not voting would have the "default action" applied to their vote. The default would always be "keep things as they are". If people don't bother voting, their right is still maintained and acted upon.

Wouldn't that depend on the proxy statement?

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”
― Winston S. Churchill

“But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction.”
― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
― Mark Twain

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
its not democracy because the leave campaign sold a brexit that cant be delivered
That's just your opinion. Others have a different opinion. We'll know on Jan1st 2021 so until then, just suck it up boyo.

I get the sentiment I really do, but isn't that just the same as saying "the Tories sold us a promise saying they'd eliminate the national debt but didn't deliver".

The question was whether or not we remain in the EU. Lies to help persuade the public answer were told on both sides.

Personally, I think every party promises stuff that it fails to deliver. All of 'em. you just have to decide who you think is going to do the least damage to the country. That's why Labour lost - a leader that labour voters trusted less than the opposition. https://jeremyspromises.com/ I'm sure others can find similar about Boris.

In my mind, it meant that the majority that could be bothered to get off their arse and go out and cast their vote got to choose the outcome of the question asked. I can't for the life of me think of any other meaning. Yes, I voted to leave but if the vote went the other way, although I wouldn't have liked it, I would still have to accept it and move on because that's democracy.
Yes, but you have missed the point of my question.

You said 'democracy won'. Sounds good but means nothing.

What is 'it' that won and what did 'it' win?

How can 'it' ever lose?

I didn't want to introduce brexit into another thread but apparently people can be trusted to decide the fate of a country but not to ride e-scooters properly.

You said 'democracy' won. Sounds good but means nothing.
Ah right. Apologies. What I meant was the decision was a democratic one because the majority of those that voted to leave the EU outnumbered those that voted to remain in the EU. The actual question was "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" The 'won' I referred to was that the decision result is finally being carried out despite years of wrangling and stalling by those who disagreed with the result of the 2016 referendum.

I didn't want to introduce brexit into another thread but apparently people can be trusted to decide the fate of a country but not to ride e-scooters properly.
And if they were given the decision to vote on that, how do you seriously think it would go?

Mmmm. I don't know - depends on how many would be motivated.

Those who want to ride them versus those who have been upset by them.

I doesn't matter. Such an important decision will not be trusted to the people.

Personally, I think most people voted on their own experiences rather than anything written on the side of buses.
(Or I'd like to think so). I voted on years of wage stagnation in my industry due to free movement but do not blame anyone coming to this country. I would have done exactly the same thing in their situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back