LED Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Anyone got any experience with LED GU10 lamps? Im after some that will give an good light output similar to a standard GU10. They are for a coffee shop with a high roof... There are currently 38 GU10 lamps at 50w each!! need to get consumption down as there on 12 hours a day.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
City elec do one made by Eton or EDL which is quite good (7.95). HOWEVER my favourite is a Phillips 7GU10 which is amazing. But will cost you £25.00 won't fit in standard downlight tho.

They are for a coffee shop with a high roof... There are currently 38 GU10 lamps at 50w each!!
Sounds as though whoever decided that 38 torches recessed into the ceiling was a good way to light the room made a serious error of judgement.

Sponsored Links
In the "Next" store I worked in a while back now there was no heating only heat came from lights and temperature was controlled by an array of air conditioning units on the roof. We were told no more than 18" between lamps.

With an integrated system like that swapping the SELV lamps for LED types would likely mean some heating would also be required.

So in some shops at least not as easy as just changing the lamps.

It's all to do with creating an atmosphere which will get people buying. Often red lamps are used on food serving areas and it is really an art of it's own working out shop lighting.

So 320 lumens is the equivalent of a 50W halogen?

An interesting claim, given that a normal incandescent lamp at that wattage will give out about 15lm/W, and a quartz halogen at least 20...

Its hard to say as the beam angle is not the same but I wouldn't say its equivalent to a 50W.

Maybe 3/4 of the way there....

Best bet is to order a couple and give them a try. Given that the current lamps are burning 22.8kWh a day money clearly isnt a factor !

I doubt that replacing 2 out of 38 halogens with LEDs would allow you to determine how well the LEDs work.....

I did a shop fit recently where we used 7W GU10 LED lamps (620 lumen output). We designed the lighting as we would have done with halogen, and the LEDs were brighter than standard halogen.

They had a 135° beam angle. I can't remember the make, but they were really good. Ignore all the nonsense above about torches etc.

Maglite-3D.jpg

1108731_max.jpg
5ca2c880ea51189369a55aed6cffcb74.jpg

And?

A well designed downlighter installation does a fantastic job of lighting a room.

By definition an installation using MR16 lamps to light a room cannot be well designed.

You keep saying this, and you keep being wrong. I have lit loads of rooms with MR16s. They are nice and bright, evenly lit, shadow free, at full brightness straight away and infinitly dimmable. That sounds pretty well designed to me.

I keep saying it and I keep on being right because of the number of luminaires required to work round the fundamental problem of them being deliberately designed to not do the role you are forcing them into.

square-peg-broken-in-round-hole.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back