LED MR16 bulbs

Philips LED 12v lamps are quite happy on almost all 'transformers'. Apparently they used some clever elektroniky stuff to make them work even on devices with a 20va minimum loading.
This came up before. Seems they don't work. Some one on this forum tried it.

Although likely a 12 volt DC power supply will work, if you can return bulbs then I would consider converting to low voltage and remove all transformers. This "Driver" will power up to a 10W LED lamp at £8.40, or whole new fitting sample here at £4.56 is it really worth staying with extra low voltage?

Sponsored Links
Philips LED 12v lamps are quite happy on almost all 'transformers'. Apparently they used some clever elektroniky stuff to make them work even on devices with a 20va minimum loading.

Although likely a 12 volt DC power supply will work, if you can return bulbs then I would consider converting to low voltage and remove all transformers. This "Driver" will power up to a 10W LED lamp at £8.40, or whole new fitting sample here at £4.56 is it really worth staying with extra low voltage?

OK so let me just make sure I understand my options.

1) Try a 12 v DC power supply on each lamp .

Will this work ? Would it be worth buying 2 and trying on 2 lights and seeing if these to correct themselves ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Drive...688146?hash=item43ba04d6d2:g:dPwAAOxyqOxRuaVP

2) Remove transfomers and use a driver .

3) Change to 240v GU10. Could I not just change the holder for this and remover transformer instead of getting all new fitting ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Will this work ? Would it be worth buying 2 and trying on 2 lights and seeing if these to correct themselves ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Drive...688146?hash=item43ba04d6d2:g:dPwAAOxyqOxRuaVP
Yes that will work mains supply to the unit which replaces the existing transformer/electronic transformer
You seem to have repeated your self? This is the same as 1)
3) Change to 240v GU10. Could I not just change the holder for this and remover transformer instead of getting all new fitting ?
You may be able to change bulb holder
34667.jpg
they are sold by the likes of Toolstation I have never tried to fit one. I think they are designed as a replacement for GU10 holders when they go faulty rather than to swap from G5.3 but for £1.24 worth a try.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Yes that will work mains supply to the unit which replaces the existing transformer/electronic transformer
You seem to have repeated your self? This is the same as 1)
You may be able to change bulb holder
34667.jpg
they are sold by the likes of Toolstation I have never tried to fit one. I think they are designed as a replacement for GU10 holders when they go faulty rather than to swap from G5.3 but for £1.24 worth a try.

Thanks, I will try option one and buy 2 12v DC power supply off ebay at £3.49 each. Changed these 2 when they come and if work order the other 6. Makes more sense than changing fitting and new GU10 led bulbs.

Thank you for help, I will revert back once I have fitted them.

Sponsored Links
12v Led driver just came. Put it on one of the fitting instead of old transformers and the one with the new LED driver will not come on at all ?

Either you've connected it wrong, or something is broken.
Do you have a multimeter?

IMO the longer you leave it, and the more fa****g about you do with effectively building your own lights by changing transformers, and changing lampholders, the less chance you will have of being able to reject the lamps on the grounds that this claim:

No but says on the box our LED lighting products can be used as a direct replacement for all conventional lighting.

is false.

Send them back for a refund, and start again. If you must retain that type of tiny recessed lights, replace them with decent ones which are already LED. Aurora are a good make.

I struggle to see how it could.

Either the lighting supply device sees its minimum load, or it doesn't. And if you add something to the load of the lamp to bring it up to 20VA it kinda defeats one of the objectives of having LED lamps in the first place.

This is the thread how Phillips have done the bulb I don't know, but they claimed it would work with an electronic transformer and some thing in the electronics of the bulb kidded the transformer into working. But it failed.

As to how I suppose if you put a simple Zener or Avalanche diode at 12.5 volt across the supply a 12 volt DC power supply will not send any current through the diode but a AC power supply would but that would not be kidding the power supply that it had extra load it would actually load up the power supply. I am sure if VW made LED bulbs they would use that method!

IMO the longer you leave it, and the more fa****g about you do with effectively building your own lights by changing transformers, and changing lampholders, the less chance you will have of being able to reject the lamps on the grounds that this claim:

No but says on the box our LED lighting products can be used as a direct replacement for all conventional lighting.

is false.

Send them back for a refund, and start again. If you must retain that type of tiny recessed lights, replace them with decent ones which are already LED. Aurora are a good make.
Do you think it is the bulb what is faulty then. If so if I buy one expensive bulb and try it should work. If it was bulb then I cant understand why it comes on with old transformer but not proper led driver. I am thinking faulty new led drivers ?

afaik, putting aside dimming which is more complex, most of the 12 volt mr16 lamps are desighned to run off AC transformers which you have, some of these transformers have a minimum load and this causes issues, some lamps claim to bypass the minimum load issue, but in reality they also have issues.
Some made up light fittings and led strip stuff are desighned to run off drivers these tend to be DC

It appears your lamps worked on the AC but but you say not on the DC, though may be worth turning the holder 180 degrees to try opposite polarity.

You need to check the lamp spec to see if requires AC or DC or can run on either

Good lamp makers are now testing there lamps with certain transformers that they recomend as it seems the only way they can honor any warranty, due to issues.

I wouldrecomend buying a fitting package, this is complete with lamp built in and compatible driver, cost not much more, compared with just a lamp and the time you have spent faffing about

Last edited:
Do you think it is the bulb what is faulty then.
Dunno.

And does a falsely claimed "a direct replacement for all conventional lighting" mean that it is "faulty", or that the claim is b*****ks?.

If so if I buy one expensive bulb and try it should work.
Probably no guarantee. Best idea would be to buy new lights which are LED from the outset, or lamps + power supplies from the same supplier, or 230V ones.

My advice about rejecting the lamps is that if they say "a direct replacement for all conventional lighting" and it's clearly not, you have a right to a refund. Once you start fiddling around building your own lights from lampholders and alternative power supplies you have given them all the wriggle-room they need to get out of refunding you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back