LED Plinth lights with a transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to install some LED Plinth lights that run off the lighting mains. However all the ones I see are kits with a 3 pin plug on the end. Where can I get some that run off a transformer which can then be connected to the lighting ring, or is it possible to cut off the plug and connet to transformer instead?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's fine to cut off the plug BEFORE the transformer and wire through a JB into the lighting circuit, it's still the same mains voltage after all. What you must not do is anything that would remove/bypass the transformer, as wiring the lights directly to the mains without it would cause some very nice fireworks.

Thanks,

How would I know what transformer to buy? Do i need to look at the voltage that is stated on the plug?

Wire a socket on the lighting circuit (by the way its not a ring final) if the plug is a wall-wart (therefore not removeable)

As long as said socket is not easily accessible to 'er indoors with her vaccuum cleaner and kettle, then its ok.

Sponsored Links
to avoid any "confusion" how about a picture or link to the lights you are thinking of buying

LEDs are not like filament bulbs. The basic LED runs on DC and it requires a current source, not a voltage. Some LEDs have current control built in so they run on DC voltage. Others have rectification built in too so you can run them from a transformer just like filament bulbs. :confused: :confused: :confused:

What this means is that the 'transformer' that comes with a set of LEDs might be a simple transformer (mains in, low voltage AC out) or a regulated DC power supply. Unless you know a thing or two about electronics you should only ever connect LEDs to the 'transformer' that comes with them.

What you can do, as electronicsuk has already suggested, is take the mains plug off and connect it into the lighting circuit. This will only be possible if the mains plug is on the end of a cable. Many such transformers/PSUs are plug-top boxes.

You should put a fuse in there somewhere because the transformer wiring might not be rated at six amps. :!: :!: :!: You can use an FCU for this or, something not often seen these days, a clock connector:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK0997.html?utm_source=kelkoo

I would go for the clock connector. :) :) :)

when our company do this we install a socket fed from a 3a fused spur, fed from the lighting circuit. The socket is clearly marked for plinth lights only and is normally enclosed in an adpaptable box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back