The bare copper conductor should be sleeved ,yellow / green.
And you need to check it is actually connected ,at its other end to earth.
You will need a meter to test that.

Sponsored Links
Hey, so it's connected see photo, sorry to harp on about it. I don't have a meter tester to do this if I turn the elec on now and try it what's likely to happen I have other lights in the house which work unsure if they have an earth wire with them all to make an assumption that's its earthed?
Thanks

Attachments

• 16012211468411706776507.jpg
    16012211468411706776507.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 80
You must not connect a metal fitting without first checking that the earth is actually connected. You can buy a multimeter from anywhere for £10. If you don't do this you risk someone in your house touching the metal work and being electrocuted in the case of a single fault. Otherwise get an electrician in.

OK cool I'll get one ordered today

Ive taken the light fitting out fully and removed the earth wire from the terminal block and left it out of the ceiling so I can turn the elec on.
I'll have to sort it once the device arrives
If it's not earthed then I'm back to the same situation as before I guess

You've all been a great help

Thank you

Cal

Sponsored Links
The issue of the light not working properly ( not switching on / off etc) ,is nothing to do with the unconnected earth conductor. Does the switch operate ONLY the one light fitting ? You may have a loose connection ,or a faulty switch.

Hi, there is only one switch attached but I've never taken it of to check behind, it was weird cos when the lights plugged in, it wouldn't stay on long when I had it taken of the bracket and dangling it never went of once, usually at best it'll stay on for like 10 seconds (Its managed 30 mins before but rare) and go of and when u want it on again you have to keep switching the switch on/off till it comes on again. Just wanted to sort it for the Mrs as its dark in the dinning room lol

What do you mean by " when the lights PLUGGED in" ?? Plugged into what ?

Sorry when I mean plugged in I mean connected to the ceiling cable as per usual light fittings (sorry bare with me with the terminology)
As current its not connected to the ceiling cable, I've taken the light fitting of the ceiling fully so its not connected.
but when it was connected to the ceiling cable it would work as described as above.

Thanks
Cal

Loose connections / faulty switch or the light fitting itself are all possible causes .

Cool thanks

So I'm down to getting a multi meter to check the earth wire, I'm sure I can look online for how to do this, if its earthed then go ahead as per normal fittings.
If the earth wire is not earthed, then how to do I manage the earth wires for safety 1) from the cable from the ceiling and 2) from the light fitting its self? as per my first entry cos Ill still have this issue (although its not the issue to the faulty light thanks to all for confirming that)
cos once I've done all the above the next element to check is the light switch and or changing the light fitting, I checked the other light fitting in the lounge (don't worry didn't meddle lol) that again doesn't seem to have an earth cable or if it does its tucked away like this one was, it seems to have the N and L wire from the fitting connected to the cable in the roof.
So guessing these are all old fitting and probs needs an electrician at some point to sort this out to modernism?

Thanks again, really appreciate it

Cal

To be clear, if it turns out that you do not have a real earth in your lighting circuit, the choices are:
  • have your lighting circuit re-wired, or
  • don't use any fitting that requires an earth.

Righteo cool, thanks for clarifying, makes sense
Sorry for being difficult, its been an epic one :) but thanks again for being helpful and resolving this situation
Really appreciated to all

Cal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back