Light fittings unsuitable for dimmer switches

KZ7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have jsut purchased a light fitting for fixing to a ceiling and note that the instructions say that it is not suitable for use with a dimmer switch.The room I want to fit it to has a dimmer switch.What is the reason for this?Is it an absolute no no?

Sponsored Links
Certain lamps and fittings can only be dimmed with specific transformers and other lamps and fittinngs cannot be dimmed at all.

I guess it is non-dimmable, otherwise the instructions would have said

ONLY DIMMABLE WITH A XXXXX TYPE DIMMER

• Thanks
Reactions: KZ7
Sponsored Links
that big heavy disc at the top is a non dimmable transformer....

good looking light though :)

• Thanks
Reactions: KZ7
does it say on the box that it cant be dimmed? Or is that information only on the instructions?

When will they stop peddling these inefficient halogen monstocities to unsuspecting Joe Public? :(

Nothing on the box only in the instructions.When I returned it yesterday I was told that it might be possible to change the transformer.As a rough rule of thumb will the dimmer swiitch mean that it is only more simple single bulb light fittings which willl be suitable for a dimmer switch?Just trying to work out a quick way of eliminating potential fittings based on a visual check...

Not really - it just means that if the fitting has a transformer, then the transformer must be a dimmable one.

Also, you often get interactions between different manufacturers of dimmer and transformer. The only 100% guaranteed way of it working is to use a dimmer and transformer made by the same company.

If you liked the light fitting and it was what you were looking for, then as mentioned above, I'd change the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back