Light Pendant to LED wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I took a light pendant down to fit an LED fitting. There are 2 Cables coming into the pendant. Below is how the pendant was wired.

The Red out of cable 1 went to Blue and the Black out of cable 2 went to Brown.

Now, from Cable 1 black was cut, and Cable 2 Red was cut. They had been cut at the point they exit the grey sheathing.

Trying to figureWhat would be the reason for this or a total bodge?

To fix it would it be: connect the 2 Reds in a terminal block, one black to Blue terminal and the other Black to Brown. One of them would be a switched live?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this light on your stairs or lobby?

If it is, the cable 1 red is the switchline, and the cable 2 black is the neutral, and the pendant connections are incorrect and should be swopped, red-red and black to blue. The other wires are not needed.

This has a risen to avoid a borrowed neutral, which is potentially dangerous

If the light worked previously, then you have a switched live and a Neutral, the two cut off cables being unused, i personally would just reseal them off in small terminal blocks unused, and forget them, with old Bc pendants some people ignored the polarity, ideally you should check the polarity, as you likely know the red is L and black is N, normally

Sponsored Links
Is this light on your stairs or lobby?

If it is, the cable 1 red is the switchline, and the cable 2 black is the neutral, and the pendant connections are incorrect and should be swopped, red-red and black to blue. The other wires are not needed.

This has a risen to avoid a borrowed neutral, which is potentially dangerous

Yes it is on the bottom of stairs. When I put the LED fitting up I connected it as the previous pendant was connected and it flickered, came on sometimes, then others it would t come on at all. Swapped the red and black over and it was just the same.

I have taken the LED fitting down for now and connected the Pendant back up.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back