Light switch that's not a switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In the shared area outside our flat we've got a strip light which has gone and I'd like to replace the tube. However, there's no switch as it's always on, there's just this:

WP_20150826_001.jpg

Is this a switch? And if so what tool do I need to, er, switch it?

Thanks
gs

Sponsored Links
It's probably an emergency lighting unit, so when you turn it off (with the secret key switch) the batteries inside will kick in.

In the shared area outside our flat we've got a strip light which has gone and I'd like to replace the tube.
Landlord's responsibility.

Or the management company you pay for if it's co-ownership.

what tool do I need to, er, switch it?
Bear in mind that if you use one of those keys, the light will still be live inside, and on, courtesy of the batteries.

Sponsored Links
There is a key
F2000490-01.jpg
designed for this switch.
Incidentally, different makes of key switch have different (and incompatible) keys. But it's certainly not anything for a tenant to be getting involved with, other than to report any problems.

Thanks all. I might give the freeholder a prod and see what he says, though in our contract there's no maintenance fee which is probably why he appears to do no maintenance (we've only been in the flat for nine months).

I wouldn't have thought a switch unit that size would be big enough for batteries sufficient to power a strip light?

I wouldn't have thought a switch unit that size would be big enough for batteries sufficient to power a strip light?

IF the light is an emergency light, then the batteries will be in the light itself, or at a central battery supply. The batteries will not be in the switch.

But as above, this is not your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back