Light with multiple bulbs burnt wiring help

Ok great sounds like a challenge then. I'll disconnect it and see how much I can take it apart.... Another DIY mini project... Thanks all for your help and opinions
Make sure you note how the wires were connected where they all come together at the centre.

As I have just (by implication!) asked - what is supplying these lights - some sort of transformer/power supply?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The wires above the fitting feed into a little black box mounted in the ceiling. Is that the transformer?

I've got an electrician friend who I know. I might detach it and take it over to him to see what he thinks...I may be able to bribe him with beer tokens...

It could be. Could you perhaps post a photo of it?

Kind Regards, John
IMG_20180122_211119547_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's quite a long box but is slotted in the ceiling if you see what I mean.
Yes, that's quite possibly a power supply ('electronic transformer'). Can you see any writing on it which would give us more information?

Kind Regards, John

Yes I can see something written on them but typically not enough light!

When I take them down in daylight I'll try and see if I can get a better picture.

Thanks!

Looks like the box in the ceiling may just be a connection point.

The box inside the top of the light fitting looks like it has writing on it.

Usually, this type of fitting has a (sometimes circular) transformer in the part that attaches to the ceiling, hence the ventilation slots.

Last edited:
I suppose an alternative might be that they were all wired in series, and fed from a 120V transformer, but I would rather doubt that
Indeed, they might be.

Because someone might have thought that was a good way to design a light, given how nice it would be to identify a failed bulb.

And there might be herds of invisible flying unicorns living in the Arctic, but I would rather doubt that.

Yes, it does look a bit like that - that's why I asked about the writing. However, there presumably has to be a transformer or PSU somewhere, even in the unlikely event that the bulbs are wired in series and originally designed for a US market.

The only real reason I got onto questions about the transformer/PSU was to rule out the (as above, unlikely) possibility that the bulbs/lamps were wired in series (for if/when we get questions about 'how to connect them'!).

Kind Regards, John

The box inside the top of the light fitting looks like it has writing on it.

Usually, this type of fitting has a (sometimes circular) transformer in the part that attaches to the ceiling, hence the ventilation slots.

Indeed you're right. Taken light off completely this evening.
IMG_20180123_193059887.jpg
The transformer is circular and is within the light casing.

See piccy:
IMG_20180123_193051896_BURST000_COVER.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back