Light won't switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, thanks in advance for your advice to my frustrating problem which has plagued me for several months!

I went to turn off the light switch for the light at the top of the stairs. Imagine my surprise when the light stayed on! I went upstairs to try the switch up there to the same effect.... light still on!
My first thought was dodgy switch (switch at bottom of stairs is a double switch which accomodates the hall light, switch at top is a single.) I made a note of the wiring and which terminals they came out of (have made that mistake once before ... nightmare!), and changed the switch at the bottom for a new one. Hoping for success, i tried again....... light still on!
So upstairs I went to change the switch there with the same result... light stayed on! Ok I thought, maybe its the rose. changed the entire fitting.. light still remains on!
The only thing I have done to remedy it so far is removing the bulb. I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with it now, and would appreciate a reason to whats possibly causing it, and how to fix it.

I would like to say that prior to the fault, I had done NO DIY at all. not been anywhere near the bulb, fitting, rose, switches, so its a complete mystery as to how this fault has just developed.

Please help to end my frustation!!!

Cheers,

Matt

Sponsored Links
You need an electrician.

As you've done nothing that could have caused this then somewhere, somehow, a cable fault has developed which has shorted the switched live to the permanent.

And possibly also done, or about to do, other nasties, so get it checked out.

And it's very likely that changing the rose could have muddled the wiring further.

I'd id the main 1st switch for the light, confirm the switch wire at the rose and rebuild as a single working switch, then do the 2nd switch.

Not a simple DIY job, but it can be done with a multi meter, some wire to make a wandering lead and a good look at the DIYnot Wiki UK lighting section.

Sponsored Links
Do you just have the two switches?

Is it possible there is a third switch somewhere that never gets used?
Perhaps using this switch has highlighted a wiring fault.
Unlikely, but you never know.

Do you just have the two switches?

Is it possible there is a third switch somewhere that never gets used?
Perhaps using this switch has highlighted a wiring fault.
Unlikely, but you never know.

Thanks for all your replies. I have a sparky living at the end of the road that keeps promising to have a look , he never does, I'm embarrassed to keep asking!

On the point you've just raised Sparkwright - you have me thinking. There IS an unused switch upstairs near the bathroom. I have no idea what its for. I'll check it out later when I get home.

Well, to bring this post to a conclusion!

The sparky finally showed up yesterday to have a look. After an hour of testing and scratching his head, he opened my loft panel to chase the wiring to the junction box.

"Matt, I dont suppose the light wouldnt turn off after you did something to your bedroom door?"

I thought it a strange question, but do remember replacing the screws on the top hinge as it was hanging off.

Anyway, the upshot is, that whichever cowboy chased the cable up to the junction box, ran it right behind the hinge, so when i've put the screw in ive gone through the cable and shorted it (turning the hinge live in the process)
How we've not electrocuted ourselves in the months that have followed I'll never know.

The sparkys replacing the wire on Wednesday.

Thanks for all your advice and help.

ban-all-sheds you were spot-on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back