Lighting Circuit's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me, in detail, how to wire a lighting circuit.

Let's say, two lights that work simultaneously, with two way switching, so they can be switched at two points.

I hope someone can be kind enough to go through how it is wired, what cable, into what connections (C/L1/L2?) everything. Many thanks,

TGS.

Sponsored Links
tgs, look in the for reference, 3rd one down, all drawings in colour, then if you have any questions post again.

Sponsored Links
The cable from the mains (consumer unit) goes to the first ceiling rose on the circuit.

There is then a cable that goes from the ceiling rose to the switch, and another cable that goes on to feed the next ceiling rose on the circuit.

Silly question I knew that.

So the Live goes to L1, the switch Live to L2 and the link between the switches to C?

Then a cable between the L1 and L2 as a link in each switch?

On a 2 way switching setup, yes.

On a one way switch you would use C and L1 only.

Let me try wording that differently.

You run a twin and earth down to the switch. The live to L2 and the Switch live to L1.

Then you run a three core linking all of the connection between the switches?

Am I close - Cheers.

RF Lighting said:
On a 2 way switching setup, yes.

On a one way switch you would use C and L1 only.

Where live would be C, and Switch live would be L1?

I have replaced switches where there have been two connections, in C and in L2. Whats happened there?

Yep thats right.

You can see this in the diagram I posted you a link to earlier.

I have replaced switches where there have been two connections, in C and in L2. Whats happened there?

(I really appreciate all your help by the way, many thanks!)

You can use either C to L1 or C to L2 on a single way circuit, one way around the switch will be upside down in the off position.
In a 2way circuit if you want to change the way up a switch is you just swop L1 and L2 over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back