Lighting master switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I am wondering whether there is a sensible way to install a "master switch" by my back door to switch off the lighting ring main circuit?
We came across one in a center parcs lodge, and it was really handy!
The main consumer unit is conveniently in the cupboard immediately next to the back door!
How might it be achieved?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
You just need a switch in the circuit cable - as there will be in the CU if MCBs.

Bear in mind that you probably have more than one light circuit.

It is unlikely to be a ring circuit - just a radial - and definitely not a ring main.

Each lighting circuit (eg upstairs, downstairs) would require a 1.0 or 1.5mm2 t+e run between the consumer unit and the back door switch position.

And a few 6 amp connectors blocks in the consumer unit to do a couple of clever joints.

Why bother with all of this though?

Sponsored Links
Each lighting circuit (eg upstairs, downstairs) would require a 1.0 or 1.5mm2 t+e run between the consumer unit and the back door switch position.

And a few 6 amp connectors blocks in the consumer unit to do a couple of clever joints.

Why bother with all of this though?

Thanks for the advice.

As to why... It's so that I don't have to worry about the kids leaving their lights on all day if I can just switch them all of when I leave the house! Since the consumer unit is right there, it will be nowt of a job to put a switch on the cupboard carcass that's next to the back door...

Leaving random lights on when you're out is a relatively way to suggest to burglars that you're actually in!

One problem with such a master switch is that you will have to make sure that the lighting circuit doesn't supply mains powered smoke detectors, burgular alarms, tv boosters and security lighting.

The other option is to give the kids a good old fashioned bolllocking about leaving lights on.

At my back door I can switch my bedroom lights off and on, it was not really set up to do that, it was set up to turn the extruder alarm off / on when entering or leaving house but same 3 remotes are used for double socket and my lights, plus can also use PC and Smart phone. The remotes are placed in my bedroom, at front door, and at back door it just happened I have no two way switching in the bedroom I use so this allows me to switch off lights when in bed.

However there are some disadvantages as well, with a power cut the lights will not auto come on again when power is restored. The switch I have will not work with two way lighting, and it cost a lot to set up. With children they could find it fun turning it off at inappropriate times like when in the loo.

If you consider a 10W LED bulb on 24/7 for a year it uses 87.6 kWh at 18p a kWh that's £15.77 per year since the light is required some of the time and some times they will switch it off it will be less than that. The light switch cost £17 the remote cost £8.50 and if you want to use phone or PC the hub cost £48 so to save money hardly worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back