Lighting...no thought to installation taken during design!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All too familar story!

Anyway, got some new Lighting to put up at home...the fittings are the shape of a 2D' fitting, but take a E27 filament lamp... Terminals are clearly designed for one cable only...and I need to loop from one fitting to the next, I can't stick connector blocks in them because they clearly arn't designed for this... a little heat proof sleeving is provided, so clearly anything like that is a very bad idea!

Only solution I can come up with is a round dry lining box in the ceiling, connections in there, flex out and fitting screwed over the top of it...I've got to patch up the ceiling anyway where R80 spots where previously, so cutting a hole isn't a big deal!

Anyone able to come up with anything better?

Sponsored Links
Loop-in at the switch and run a seperate feed from there to each light.

Or, be more carefull which fittings you send your hard-earned on!

Loop-in at the switch and run a seperate feed from there to each light.

Theres five fittings though... perhaps overkill, but the intention was one over each patch up'd hole (where there was previously an R80 fitting), and I thought 'ah, can always use lower wattage lamps'

... perhaps.... depending on how good I can patch up holes... I might not need all the fittings!

Sponsored Links
Crimps are designed to join cables so, one cable in, one cable out. They aren't made to allow one cable in and two out.

You could use ChocBox and term strip above each fitting, or a 5A TB in void at each site.

I'd go for a 20A mini junction box above each fitting. It's still accessable by dropping the fitting, so thats ok.

Your round (or even square if you like) dry lining box behind the fitting is not a bad idea. I do that on those horrid cheap smoke alarms to contain the connectors.

Will a normal JB not do as you live in a bungalow and will be accessable from above?

TLCT100C.JPG

TL CT100C
Click Flow 16 Amp Push-in Connector
(Special Offer)
£1.40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back