Lighting question Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new light fitting for the bedroom supplied with a cheese block, but the existing wiring is wired like this, I have three black wires 2 of them are paired going into a brass bar in the N part, 3 red wires 2 paired with 1 next hole in the L part, and earth on its own. But the remaining black wire goes over to the L part of the brass bar.

Now to fit the new light fitting would i pair the 3 red wires together, then the 3 black, and earth in it's own position, and match them up to the cheese block for the new light fitting? which has the new colours of Blue, Brown, G/yellow for earth.

Not sure why the existing wiring has 1 black wire going to the live part of the brass bar in the existing fitting, as you may have guessed I am not a spark, but would be grateful for any help.

Sponsored Links
Your current wiring is perfectly normal, and must be wired in the same way.

All the reds need joining together in a SEPERATE connector block. They must not be directly connected to the light fitting wiring.

The two blacks together go to the neutral (blue) of the light.

The remaining black is the switched live, which goes to the live (brown) of the light.
By rights this black wire should have a small red sleeve over it to indicate it is in fact a live wire.

All the earth wires get joined together with the earth (green and yellow) of the light.

You should now realise by doing this you are basically replicating what's already there.

Be sure the power is completely off at the mains before starting work.

If in doubt get an electrician to do it for you.

Sponsored Links
It works as it is wired.
Why do you think you should alter it?
An important question, and an even more important meta-question.

shuggie - the light works, so what on earth makes you begin to think that you could change which conductors are connected together and have it still work in the same way?

Thanks for all the replies troops, the reason for changing the wiring is because the new fitting will not fit the existing fitting, otherwise i wouldn't need to alter anything, but sparkwright has explained what i have to do, (thanks mate) and for any future light changes i will put Red tape on the Black live wire, looking at the existing light there are only 2 wire's coming from the light itself Brown and Blue, the Brown going to the single Black LIVE wire and the Blue going to the 2 Black neutral wire's, as sparkwright has said.

Me mate is a spark but cant get him just now, so on me own for this one, cheers troops thanks again.

If the new light fitting doesn't require an earth connection you must still join the earth wires together in a connector. Usually metal fittings require them to be earthed.

Just as a quick way to explain how your light works, the two blacks are neutral, and the reds are permanent live. From the permanent live, a red wire goes to the light switch. From the other side of the switch is a black wire (sleeved red) which provides the live to the light.

Just a little bit of info to give you a basic understanding how it all works - we like people to learn a little as they go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back