Lighting Switch - Is This Possible??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all...

basicly what i am trying to do is create a lighting effect within a fish tank i have
(a little off topic for household i know...)

it requires a certain switch... i am wondering if this is going to be possible
as i cant seem to find this type of switch anyware... :confused:

Here is a diagram to see, bit easier that trying to explain it... hahaha

tanklighting3ql.jpg

I'm only wanting to switch on 1 bulb at a time, but i am also wanting to be able to switch off both bulbs

if anyone knows if this type of thing can be done.. please let me know..
and if anyone knows where i can get hold of this type of switch that would too be appreciated :D

Ps, switch unit also needs to be sealed or sealable, as it "may" be near to a small amount of moisture...
if not.. atleast in some sort of encasing, and i will seal it myself

Thank you..
MobiTec :)

Sponsored Links
whats wrong with a 2 gang switch? (one gang for each lamp)

Sponsored Links
I have a marine tank with two sets of lights, UV blue actinic and daylight. The blue lamps switch on early in the morning and the daylight lamps switch on an hour or so later. At night the daylight lamps go off an hour or two earlier than the blue lamps, which similates moonlight and looks great.

Manual lighting switches are a pain because you can forget to switch them on or off and that's why I'd recommend some type of automation.

Yup, me too - Thats exactly how I do it.

I assume you have seperate ballasts for the tubes?? Your not trying to create a switching circuit which will use one ballast for two lights.....that would be just silly :eek:

Or a siemens logo / mitsubishi alpha / crouzet millenium 1 or 2, you can pick them up quite cheap of ebay. I found them easier to program with the software and cable.

i don't have the option of having them on separate timer's or into separate
plug sockets, as i don't have the space or accessablilty around the sockets...

plus it is something i am wanting to build into my tanks hood to keep it neat and tidy..

"less electrical items around tank the better.." hahahaha :LOL:

Two channel programmer sounds good. For reference, you can use an MK grid switch unit, with an on position either side, and an off position in the middle:

MKK4899.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back