lights on a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought two lights for outside intending to wire them into the garage unit that has a spare 6 amp, however in the instructions for the light it says not to wire them into a lighting circuit but use a fused spur instead.

Does anyone know the reason behind this, the way i wanted to do it ie on its own circuit straight from the garage unit is so much simpler.

Id appreciate any help / advice you can throw my way

Sponsored Links
Only logical reason I can think of is the fuse size. Nothing to stop you putting a fuse spur on a lighting circuit tho providing the supply is adequate.
Adding a new circuit is notifiable under part p but adding a fused spur unit to an existing circuit isn't as long as the addition isn't in a special location, a kitchen or part of a special installation (i.e. an outdoor power circuit.)
Adding outdoor security on the wall according to approved document P isn't notifiable providing there are no outdoor exposed connections.

many thanks for the reply, im not part p as yet but i was thinking that as i had the garage unit already with rcd and a spare 6amp mcb that would be ideal for the lighting.

If i was to do it as they suggest with a switched fuse spur what amp fuse would you recommend, its only going to be running two outside lights that have max 100w output

Forget the fused spur. Just use the 6A breaker as you originally intended to do.

Perhaps the manufacturers wanted the fused spur so the lights could be isolated for maintenance?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back