Lintel Under an RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New to the forum so apologies if that has been covered in an earlier post, but I couldn’t find anything!

I have a 2 storey Victorian built house and I’m looking to move the doorway to our lounge more towards the centre of the room. But my problem is, there is an RSJ around 3.4m long running the width of the room. There are single skin brick walls above the RSJ and the wall the I need to put the new doorway in.

Ultimate question: can you put a lintel under an RSJ? I’ve attached a photo for reference!

Any help would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• FFCA2457-A66A-4E39-AD5E-6CF4BF6ACB40.jpeg
    FFCA2457-A66A-4E39-AD5E-6CF4BF6ACB40.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
There are a number of variables to be taken into account to do what you propose but I would say no because the original lintel installation calculations were presumably based on the construction you have now.
So, at the least, you would need new SE's calcs for any alteration.
You could be creating a kind of pressure point: we dont know whats above the single skin walls or whats resting on what?

Hi Tell,

Apologies, the other side of the wall is a hallway. Above the brick walls is just a ceiling. Only internal walls, the external walls are granite.

This room used to be 2 separate rooms that have been knocked through.

Sponsored Links
You'd just put a small steel beam across the doorway - something like a 152 x 89 would be fine. Put decent-sized padstones each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back