Litter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went for a short walk recently with Mrs Secure, the boys & my Ma.

On the way back, I found 2 items of litter in the(normally tidy) street. I detest this, so I picked them up to put in our bin at home.

My mother called my sanity into question. "There must be something wrong with you if you go round picking up other people's litter" she ranted.

Would you do the same?

Sponsored Links
No.

But if you must, just shove it down the nearest drain in the road

Most of the normal functions of a society are encouraged and, eventually, implemented, by example. The present imbalance between those who could not care less about the state of our surroundings, and those who have some concerns over the effects which this has on our quality of life, has got to be remedied and, in my opinion, those whose actions have the conscience and, sometimes, the courage, to show what should be done, are to be congratulated.

I don't pick other people rubbish up but on several occasions I've given kids lectures about ruining the environment.

Sponsored Links
I think people should keep the area in front of their own house clean.
In my street thats in a fairly nice area people pick up litter thats blown in on the breeze. That keeps it a nice place to live.
In sh*tty areas they just leave it until the place becomes a mess.

I too detest the litter that gets left about, so I fully support your picking it up and binning it. Very community minded, if only there were more like you. Fortunately for you there were only a couple of pieces. My street looks like a landfill site on a Saturday morning strewn with takeaway boxes and kebab wrappers. I'll pick it up if it's outside my house but I would be there all day if I picked up more.

Mark & Watchmaker - thank you.

I too feel it is the right attitude and was, quite frankly, shocked at my mother's response: one of the very few times she has completely surprised me with her reaction.

I do take the point about if there is a lot of litter, it would be impossible to clear it all away.

But if everyone could just pick up just one piece of litter every day, that would make such a fantasic difference.
I don't think people realise how much we could make our environment better by doing this.

Totally agree with the OP.
I did the 1/2 mile stretch of main road that boundaries my land on both sides recently.
Picked up about 6 full bin bag's of plastic bottles , plastic bags and various other items.
The rubbish in one place was like a tip due to the way the wind collects the stuff in one place.
The disgarded plastic shopping bags then blow across the land and livestock will eat the plastic which can be fatal. The local townsolk in my area are the biggest problem unfortunately.
A lot of people just don't care or realise what the consequences can be.
Not nearly enough education on the subject IMO.

I've just come back from a motorbike ride to France.....it was easy to tell that I was back in Britain due to the amount of garbage littering our roads and motorways. To clear it all up is simple - we have an army of young, and not so young offenders and I think if people saw them picking up all this mess then they could say 'well, they have offended but at least they are doing some good'.
It'll never happen though - something to do with human rights, I suppose.

It'll never happen though - something to do with human rights, I suppose.
F*** their human rights. Theres thousands of men and women in prisons who are capable of working. Send them out in chain gangs digging trenches and litter picking and cleaning grafitti. ;)

Around where I live, I constantly see 'Red' rubber bands discarded. The source is easily identified as being the various postman we get. They ALL seem to think their rubber bands do not constitute litter. As the culptits are easily identified as the 'Postie' shouldn't the Post Office be prosecuted for their crime

Around where I live, I constantly see 'Red' rubber bands discarded. The source is easily identified as being the various postman we get. They ALL seem to think their rubber bands do not constitute litter. As the culptits are easily identified as the 'Postie' shouldn't the Post Office be prosecuted for their crime
collect them all and make a giant red rubberband ball which you can roll down the hill towards them next time they make a delivery :D

Sponsored Links
Back