Loft conversion wiring options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still on with my loft conversion. Whilst I have all plaster removed and floorboards up, I want to route some cable for the sockets to the loft. I have attached two options for wiring to the sockets. Are both OK? Apologies for the quality of the drawing, but it is not a bad attempt considering it is done in Word then pasted into paint.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
oh dear, thought I was in the electrical section. something gone wrong somewhere. Sorry guys.

Since you asked. A ring circuit MUST be one complete ring. It can have spurs off of it but it CANNOT have a full parallel circuit as shown in Option 1.
Option 2 is correct. Do not forget that a new circuit or an addition to a circuit like this is notifiable!! You are not allowed to DIY this type of modification to your wiring. Sorry mate!

Do not forget that a new circuit or an addition to a circuit like this is notifiable!!
Whilst starting a new circuit from the CU is notifiable, an an extension to an existing circuit is OK as long as it's not supplying "a special location" i.e kitchen, bathroom or outside.

You are not allowed to DIY this type of modification to your wiring. Sorry mate!
This is a commom misconception. There is no restriction on DIY electrical work, you just have to notify the LABC before you start and have them inspect it.

Is it not possible to give the loft its own ring & RCD/MCB ? (RCCB)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back