Loose earth bond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was replacing my washing machine at the weekend, and noticed one end of the earth bond was tucked behind the back wooden plate under my kitchen sink, not attached to anything. I have no idea if it's come loose whilst removing the old machine, or if it's been like this for longer.

I have 2 questions:

1) Probably the most important I guess, is what should it be attached back to?
2) What is the functionality of these wires?

Overview - showing loose end in foreground. The other wire comes out of the wall and is attached to the sink as shown in the second photo (all ground floor):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgqvuwv4xms4clb/bond1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut1rg5u11aydwgk/bond2.jpg?dl=0

The other end of the loose wire is attached to the water pipe, before the stopcock and meter:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y4q3knmvyv5ks4/bond3.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. Assuming it is a metallic sink, it should be attached to the sink.
2. To ensure that all metal work inside your property that could become live is connected to earth.
PS couldn't see any of your images.

For some reason I was unable to embed the images. I've replaced with links which should work now.

Edit: Yes the sink is metallic.

Sponsored Links
It should be attached to the main earth terminal which is probably near your meter/consumer unit.
I'm not sure quite what's going on but what's there now doesn't make too much sense. Perhaps it was supplementary bonding under a previous edition of the regulations.
Basically nothing metal in the kitchen needs specifically bonding, but your water and gas services if metal need main bonding back to the main earthing terminal, from where they enter the building. If that's not the case, get it done asap.

That bonding cable that is coming out of the wall should be attached to the water supply pipe not the sink...

Should perhaps mention, the house was built in 1996, though the kitchen was replaced at some point since.

In 1996 there was no requirement to bond to a sink.

Nor in 1986

I think not in 1976 either, though you'll need to find a historian to tell you when (if ever) there was such a regulation.

It's folklore chanted by elderly plumbers.

Since the introduction of PME, there has and has always been a requirement to bond any metal work that could become live, fact. including kitchen sinks!

Since the introduction of PME, there has and has always been a requirement to bond any metal work that could become live, fact.
Writing "fact" doesn't really help, especially since it's not a requirement. You have to bond all ecps, which applies regardless of pme.

There could be various reasons for you writing nonsense? I don't know which one it is.

Tell us which regulations support your incorrect views?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back